Widebands That You Would or Wouldn't Buy

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
fuzzysig
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Widebands That You Would or Wouldn't Buy

Post by fuzzysig »

yep that's me
I already checked with Neptune and he says it supports innovate and plx devices. but the DM6 shows one serial output which is used by the gauge.
can I have both connected at the same time?
HelmutVonAutobahn
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by HelmutVonAutobahn »

Yeah, then, I would not go with the Innovate controllers for your setup.

The PLX uses a special USB/serial adapter because it doesn't use the standard RS232 voltages. So, you have to get the adapter from them, directly. I don't remember if the DM-6 has a pass-thru output so that you can still use the serial with the gauge attached to the AFR module.

The new AEM gauges that we have been discussing have serial output as well. Which is available. And, uses the standard serial adapter. But, you didn't list AEM serial format for the Neptune. It is pretty simple, though.
HelmutVonAutobahn

I just looked at my DM-6. It only has one serial line. But, there is a stereo splitter that looks like it may let you use the gauge and a USB interface, or another gauge, at the same time.
Hentai
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Hentai »

HelmutVonAutobahn wrote:
Hentai wrote:
HelmutVonAutobahn wrote:
What NTK sensors have you dealt with?
I have seen the L1H1/L2H2 and the newer LHA sensors. Of those, the LHA seem to have better response times.

I'm pretty sure that the different grades of sensors are just hand-picked samples of the regular production parts that have been tested/calibrated.
Just call and ask ECM.

I doubt NTK shares that information with anyone.
Considering ECM develops alot of the high end equipment used by the oems and develops the higher end NGK\NTK widebands, Yes I suspect ECM knows the info.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I need to clean up this thread. @Everyone, please:
  • Post specific comments and information about widebands that you know of and have experience with here
  • Post questions to commentators/information sharers that can extract more valuable insight from them
  • Refrain from asking things like "which one should I buy", the information in the thread covers this, if you read it
  • Refrain from asking divergent questions about side-line stuff that won't help tell us anything about a particular unit
  • Refrain from tit-for-tat arguments that add no value and degrade the signal to noise ratio of the thread
  • Start new threads in this section for the purposes of the above things which I'm asking you refrain from in this thread
IE, I'm not saying don't do those things, even when they annoy me. I am saying keep them out of this thread. It's well known across the internet and it deserves to remain high quality. I dislike adjusting the natural flow of a thread, but the information density has to remain high for this to remain a worthwhile and efficient source of data.

Expect a clean up at some point. Nothing will be deleted, some new threads will appear instead, leaving some conversational gaps in this, which I will endeavour to mark and link away to the missing comments.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
baldur
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by baldur »

HelmutVonAutobahn wrote:Yeah, then, I would not go with the Innovate controllers for your setup.

The PLX uses a special USB/serial adapter because it doesn't use the standard RS232 voltages. So, you have to get the adapter from them, directly. I don't remember if the DM-6 has a pass-thru output so that you can still use the serial with the gauge attached to the AFR module.

The new AEM gauges that we have been discussing have serial output as well. Which is available. And, uses the standard serial adapter. But, you didn't list AEM serial format for the Neptune. It is pretty simple, though.
PLX just uses logic level rs232 so it's compatible with any logic level USB-232 adapter. My preferred adapter is the FTDI cable. FTDI also sells that cable with a 3.5mm jack on the end but RX and TX are swapped compared to the PLX cable so you can't use that.
HelmutVonAutobahn

PLX just uses logic level rs232 so it's compatible with any logic level USB-232 adapter. My preferred adapter is the FTDI cable. FTDI also sells that cable with a 3.5mm jack on the end but RX and TX are swapped compared to the PLX cable so you can't use that.
You have to be careful. The PLX serial i/o voltage is 3.3v. A lot of the USB adapters seem to use 5.0v.

I mean innovate seems to need near ideal conditions for sensor to last any reasonable time. they even say that replacing sensors every year is normal with mtx-L I called them twice and got that response from them that its normal to have to replace sensors every year its a "wear item" ...
Yeah, that's a complicated issue. It does seem like an OEM sensor should be able to last its OEM lifespan, in most cases. In innovate's defense, their control method allows them to detect a bad sensor, while an analog controller like the OEM ECU, PLX, etc. would just give bad readings. On the other hand, it seems unlikely that the sensors, in OEM applications, are dying off in less than a year; and, going unnoticed. So, this is probably related to the controller.

In many cases, people see much longer sensor life, with Innovate, using their HBX-1 heatsink bung extender. This helps to keep the sensor at a more consistent temperature. This may be especiually important for the LSU4.9, as opposed to the LSU4.2. Bosch calls for MUCH tighter temperature control of the 4.9 sensor than the 4.2. Requiring the control frequency to be 50X higher. ( 100Hz vs 2Hz ).

Way back in this thread, I tested an MTX-L with an LSU 4.9 and found that it was only running at 18Hz. I proposed that this may not be sufficient to control the sensor temperature, assuming Bosch knows what they are talking about. It is, probably, OK, under constant conditions. But, when EGTs change rapidly, it may let the sensor temperature swing wildly, causing thermal shock damage. THIS IS ONLY CONJECTURE. But, that's how it looks to me.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Kept the above post as it contained discussion about specific models. Others are over here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2666

Please stay focused. fuzzysig, you're back on moderation until you can prove you can post coherently.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
fuzzysig
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by fuzzysig »

well I got the DM-6 PLX wideband kit.

I didn't read the reviews prior to buying which I should have

gauge doesn't work, or doesn't work when cold is what I see.

so mine doesn't work either right out of the box...

and since its a short review.
as many others said theres no way to mount the gauge. I'm not sure how PLX imagined the customers mounting the gauge but I cant see any way besides hot glue which will discolor the vinyl dash after a while
HelmutVonAutobahn

How long are you letting it warm up ?