Widebands That You Would or Wouldn't Buy

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
DelSolid
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Widebands That You Would or Wouldn't Buy

Post by DelSolid »

HelmutVonAutobahn wrote:Conspicuously absent from the list are your 30-4110 gauges & inline UEGO.
It might help justify the price jump to the new models, if people knew the actual performance difference?
Or, are the older ones being phased out ?
The 30-4110 gauge and the 30-2310 inline are in the twilight of their careers so we didn't include them. In the future you will see this new technology filtering out across all of our AFR products so confusing the tables with old AEM and new AEM products would be just that, confusing.

We also originally had left off the LC-1 and the NGK Powerdex units as both are discontinued, But, people kept asking about how it compared to the LC-1 so we ultimately decided it should be included, and apparently there are still some new units floating around for sale. The NGK Powerdex has been reborn by Ballenger Motorsports so it was left on as well.

In my testing on the LSU 4.2 based old style AEM inline unit (30-2310), the response time was repeatedly in the 50-60mS range. The gauge with the 4.2 would have been much the same. I didn't test the 30-4110 (LSU 4.9 version of the gauge) as these tests were done early last year and the LSU 4.2 was still the prevalent version of the gauge. With all of our Bosch CJ125 based units, we have noted similar response speeds between the LSU4.2 and the LSU4.9, maybe a slight nod to the 4.9 but not much.
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon with a 440 & TF727
1929 Ford Roadster with a 2JZ and a T400, GT47, 1,100WHP, 240+ MPH
1930 Ford Roadster with a 42 Merc Flathead with triple Holley 94's. Major work in progress
I work for AEM but am not here schilling for them. Nothing I say is official.
HelmutVonAutobahn
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by HelmutVonAutobahn »

That back and forth on the X-series and the new AFR500v2 is interesting. Is there any chance that an NTK sensor based wideband can be as fast as the 30-0300/LC-1 ? There is mention of a special "calibration grade" NTK sensor. But, every NTK based design that I have ever seen is VERY slow.
Hentai
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Hentai »

HelmutVonAutobahn wrote:That back and forth on the X-series and the new AFR500v2 is interesting. Is there any chance that an NTK sensor based wideband can be as fast as the 30-0300/LC-1 ? There is mention of a special "calibration grade" NTK sensor. But, every NTK based design that I have ever seen is VERY slow.
there is 3 NTK sensor that you can buy for it, the production ( 50 dollars more ), calibration ( 150 more ), lab ( 450 more ) grade sensors.

NTK does have the newer ZFAS-U2 sensor but it isn't supported on the new v2

What NTK sensors have you dealt with?

I do know that ECM ( developers of the NGK AFX\Ballenger AFRv2 ) mainly deals with NTK based sensors ( not cheap ) for their products and is high up there for oem calibration equipment.
baldur
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by baldur »

HelmutVonAutobahn wrote:
Does it have the two buttons n the front face ? Like so... ?
It does not, no buttons. It looks just like the old gauge, just has an LSU4.9 sensor instead of the LSU4.2 the older units used.
HelmutVonAutobahn

I have seen the L1H1/L2H2 and the newer LHA sensors. Of those, the LHA seem to have better response times.

I'm pretty sure that the different grades of sensors are just hand-picked samples of the regular production parts that have been tested/calibrated.
DelSolid
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by DelSolid »

HelmutVonAutobahn wrote:Is there any chance that an NTK sensor based wideband can be as fast as the 30-0300/LC-1 ?
During development of the X-Series products, the controller was tested using not only the Bosch sensors, but the NGK L1H1, L2H2 and the LHA sensors as well. The LHA was the fastest of the three NGK sensors tested but still not as fast as the Bosch 4.9. If I remember correctly, it was running in the high 30ms to low 40ms range on our test rig. But since it was not slated for release with the controllers, the response testing on the NGK's was not carried out much beyond satisfying our own curiosity.

So that speed could potentially satisfy the request for an NGK sensor based system that is in the same speed ballpark as the LC-1, but it is still not as fast as the 30-0300.
1969 Plymouth Satellite Wagon with a 440 & TF727
1929 Ford Roadster with a 2JZ and a T400, GT47, 1,100WHP, 240+ MPH
1930 Ford Roadster with a 42 Merc Flathead with triple Holley 94's. Major work in progress
I work for AEM but am not here schilling for them. Nothing I say is official.
fuzzysig
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by fuzzysig »

which one would you guys recommend that has 4.9 sensor and serial output?
I mean should I give the innovate another try and get LC-2 or should I go with another brand?

also iwas reading that the bosch controller that they recommend and use in OEM applications not only controls a basic temperature but also has inputs from a lot of the engine sensors to have a precise control of the heater based on the environment and engine state.
how is that achieved without the wideband being connected to the ecu in aftermarket applications

and which widebands use the bosch sensor controller? does that even matter?
innovate uses ATMEL chip btw
Hentai
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Hentai »

HelmutVonAutobahn wrote:
I have seen the L1H1/L2H2 and the newer LHA sensors. Of those, the LHA seem to have better response times.

I'm pretty sure that the different grades of sensors are just hand-picked samples of the regular production parts that have been tested/calibrated.
Just call and ask ECM.
HelmutVonAutobahn

which one would you guys recommend that has 4.9 sensor and serial output?
I mean should I give the innovate another try and get LC-2 or should I go with another brand?
Were you the one who was having issues with the Innovate controller killing off sensors in short order ? If so, I would try something else in your application. Also, every manufacturer's serial data format is different. So, make sure whatever you are reading the data with is compatible with the new wideband.
HelmutVonAutobahn

Hentai wrote:
HelmutVonAutobahn wrote:

Just call and ask ECM.

I doubt NTK shares that information with anyone.