Standalones That You Would Never Use

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
johntramp
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Standalones That You Would Never Use

Post by johntramp »

It doesn't matter how many layers it has; if it hasn't been peer reviewed, it should never be used.
tpsretard
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by tpsretard »

Fred, Omex like AEM is made by GeMs. a bit limited on outputs and inputs, but very very good.

That is what this car running. I would recommend it to anyone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_kF8Iw-J6g
Hentai
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Hentai »

Electromotive with Tec 3 firmware\software or older,
nope
electromotive with tec 4 firmware\software, not as bad but there are still issues
16x16 maps are biggest you can get, but if you change say the rpm or load set point it changes all 16x16 maps set points globally, ve, ign, custom, etc
Its a faux VE system that doesn't have controable fuel though a commanded afr\lambda table, the afr target is only used for closed loop operation with a o2 sensor. VE numbers that are used can't be correctly used with math operations. The staged fueling table\setup is based directly off the same injectors that are setup for the primaries. If you say you have 550cc than the secondaries are infered to 550cc and the table at 100 will refer to max PW suppodesly for a 550cc injector. There is no where to change this logic in the software.

electromotive prides themself on their supieror ign system\setup but their current ecu's seem to have the late 90s and early 00s for standalones in mind and I haven't seen any strides to upgrade how fuel management in their ecu is done. I've talked to one of their tech\engineers about commanded fuel, but it seems to blow past their understanding.

I wouldn't go outright and buy it out touch it, but if a person came to me and asked for help to install\tune I would help them
Fred

Post by Fred »

A few more tidbits to reinforce my "would not" to Link/Vipec:

Firstly, all firmware and tuner versions are linked 1:1 which implies poor software architecture to not handle multiple variants in one app.

And the big one: All versions prior to G4+ did not do VE based tuning! To me that means that all prior versions sucked. Apparently they made a big deal out of it... searches for video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZGH6sQ8FdA < explains that links below G4+ work very similarly to MegaSquirts! :-( Primitive and horrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpHXvTOJy7c < if you watched the above, this is just the last 11 minutes of it, no need to rewatch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1alafpLOqB8 < dyno noises over the top of presenter during video, don't stop the operations for a show! :-D Looked promising, and then they dropped the bomb: 2 VE tables! One for each fuel in their multi fuel setup. Fail. Everything except that is required. They have the rest, but... anyway. I expected multi fuel to mean secondary injectors use a different fuel, wrong. Maybe you could set it up like that? In the next video he admits that VE2 is a fudge factor, so as long as they know, I guess...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkT2Ot02QLw < embarrassing QA session. Fru not Through. Sigh. :-D Kiwi accents down south are a bit stronger, that's for sure. One tidbit to notice, zero proper MAF support. They're also promiscuous about load on their tables. I had load as an option on early firmware versions, but some time ago I changed that to be more sensible and be dedicated to a specific algorithm.

G4+ actually sounds fairly reasonable with most stuff covered fairly well. Not quite on the money in a lot of areas, but good enough to get the job done effectively, I guess. If not for my fetish with FreeEMS, I'd consider being a good patriot and follower and running a G4+, but nothing earlier than that, yuck.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Hentai

Post by Hentai »

You do realize that until recent all the motec ecu's except the new m1 series are inj pw tuning just like how link is done
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hentai wrote:You do realize that until recent all the motec ecu's except the new m1 series are inj pw tuning just like how link is done
Thanks, added a vote for them, too. Stuff that.
Hentai

Post by Hentai »

Fred wrote:

* = Developed in multiple countries, primary country's flag shown.
inj pw direct = typing in pw numbers
inj pw indirect = some type of fuel table where the values input reflect a PW output
VE = configure the engine ability to breath and can command a open loop fuel with no VE table changes
MAF = fueling by using maf sensor in an acceptable manner
dfarr67
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by dfarr67 »

How about reverse commentary on this theme- what standalone ecu do you like FOR THE MONEY and why? Prerequisite would be anything readily available in north america and with good oem support and easily warrantied. Half of the ecu's listed here never heard of- that doesn't mean much though.
tpsretard
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by tpsretard »

i would use motec ANY day.

Pectel is also inj pw, So is the TAG Mclaren ecu. You know the same ecu F1 has been usng for about 4 years :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

I don't care how fancy they are. I don't want to work in an unmodeled fashion. OEM ECUs make me horny. Overpriced, overhyped big names that don't do things as well as the OEMs do, do not. There's a lot to the question "is an ECU good" and the answer sometimes depends on your requirements. Physics-based is one of mine. :-)