Megasquirt 3 Pins Bridged together.

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
Justin
TO92 - Vaguely active

Megasquirt 3 Pins Bridged together.

Post by Justin »

I'm wondering if anybody knows why some megasquirt boards seem to have several pins bridged together, and others only have a few.

In this picture pins 36&37(PE6 & PE7), 43&44(VDDR & VSS3), 85&86(VRL & VSSA1), and 94&95(PS5 & PS6) seem to be bridged.
Pin 96 might also be tied into 94&95, or maybe it's just flux I can't tell.

In this picture it looks like only pins 85&86 are together.

It's possible that there are traces between those pins, but it seems odd. I'm pretty sure that you should never tie a VDD and a VSS together(unless maybe it fries something that makes it impossible to load a new serial monitor or something), but no matter how many times I count it I come up with the same pin numbers. I doubt that tieing some pins together would have any real effect if they aren't using those pins for anything.

EDIT:
I was counting off of the wrong corner.
Fred

Re: Megasquirt 3 Pins Bridged together.

Post by Fred »

Strange! Perhaps someone here has one and can shed some light on your query. That first one looks bridged alright. Perhaps it was a prototype done to their usual high standards?
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Justin
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by Justin »

It turns out that there are traces between those pins. I still have no idea why.

I wanted to post up a picture of the back of a MS3 board, because I couldn't get google to find me one. So here it is.

The biggest reason I wanted to see the back of the board was to see if they had done this grounding style:
They definitely didn't. As you can see there are a bunch of holes under the chip.

Does anybody know if it would violate their copyright if a person was to make a schematic from their board? Have the better board built, and then remove their chip from their board to put it on some better hardware.

Edit: I accidentally hit submit instead of preview.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Justin wrote:It turns out that there are traces between those pins. I still have no idea why.
How bizarre!
The biggest reason I wanted to see the back of the board was to see if they had done this grounding style:
Was it REALLY necessary to post that in such a high resolution??? :-/
Does anybody know if it would violate their copyright if a person was to make a schematic from their board?
No, however distributing it in the US is a different story.
Have the better board built, and then remove their chip from their board to put it on some better hardware.
Again, no, as the board would be your own design, however running their code on it would likely be seen as breach of software license by them. (this is the only real power that they have in that area)

However, why the hell would you want to do that, it's just as flaky as the rest of the leprosy ridden family of products.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
pishta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by pishta »

Thats Fluxin awesome!