more help with MS extra software anyone? :D [trigger offset]

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
dealwithit
DIP8 - Involved

more help with MS extra software anyone? :D [trigger offset]

Post by dealwithit »

hey, i've got my ms2 v3 setup for a 36-1 crank trigger and running 4cyl wasted coils. the thing is the timing light is showing its stuck at 100degrees advanced, no matter what i change the settings in MT to. anyone got any ideas? or where all the settings are in MT? thanks again

Ken
ababkin
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: more help with MS extra software anyone? :D

Post by ababkin »

dealwithit wrote:hey, i've got my ms2 v3 setup for a 36-1 crank trigger and running 4cyl wasted coils. the thing is the timing light is showing its stuck at 100degrees advanced, no matter what i change the settings in MT to. anyone got any ideas? or where all the settings are in MT? thanks again

Ken
not to be an arse, but try the following:
1. read the ms2 manual start to finish
2. be methodical with your troubleshooting
3. outline exactly what you tried and what doesn't seem to work. You're basically saying: "i have MS installed on a car with such and such attributes and my advance is stuck at one value. What did i do wrong?", which is definitely not enough info for others to help you with your problem even if they want to help.
4. post your question on MS forum and ask for other people's msq settings file to compare to yours and see what setting you have wrong. They have great support, unless of course your thread happens to mysteriously disappear.

This is the case of teaching a person to catch fish as opposed to catching fish for him. Remember, the joy of MS is in learning how it works, which gives you ability to get it to do exactly what you want (to an extent of course ;-) ).
Legal disclaimer for all my posts: I'm not responsible for anything, you are responsible for everything. This is an open and free world with no strings attached.
Fred

Post by Fred »

It seems to me that what he asked was "Where is the setting to change the timing base figure".

This is slightly confusing at the best of times. If I recall correctly MegaTune has a "trigger wizzard" (without a long white beard) that tells you to setup the timing there-in. This is present in MS2Extra, HOWEVER, it is not used as far as I know. Thus adjusting that is somewhat futile (I assume this is what you have been trying?).

I believe the value to adjust is probably in the wheel settings menu arrangement somewhere. What it is called though, I have forgotten. I'll fire up a MT with an old alpha now and see where it is.

menu : basic settings
menu item : trigger wheel settings
box : tooth number 1 angle btdc

Considering I haven't had anything to do with tuning a MS for nearly a year, not bad memory I'd say :-)

This is the one that does nothing but is present anyway (or was) :

I hope that helps you somewhat. I asked Alex to help you out, because I haven't been up to the play with regards actually doing stuff with the MS equipment, but as he said, he is just being an arse.

Admin.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
dealwithit
DIP8 - Involved

Post by dealwithit »

thanks man, i just checked that and it says its at 0 degrees btdc on that page. i've changed both the others with no effect but i'll try that one tomorrow. thanks again :D

oh and i've tried the MS sites and it seems that you guys are quicker and more helpful :D plus fred said to ask on here :D