MS2 clone with extra pins brought out!

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
Fred

MS2 clone with extra pins brought out!

Post by Fred »

A rather neat little ms2 clone with the issues fixed that was made by a member of the ms forums who shall remain nameless to stop you guys pestering him for board layouts etc when it's illegal to do this without permission. For the same reason i rehosted the image so you can't search him down that way ;-)

Nice work on his part! :-)

Admin.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
GartnerProspect
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: MS2 clone with extra pins brought out!

Post by GartnerProspect »

I'm very happy to see that other folks are going out of their way to fix some of the shortcomings of the standard B&G hardware.

The irony is that I don't really think it's particularly illegal to do what he did. At least I can't find anything to support that. IANAL of course. But it IS a sure-fire way to get booted clean off the MS-map.

B&G did not originate the idea of the surface mount to DIP adapter, which is really all the MS is in function. Nor does it stipulate anywhere in the free-open source software that is can only be used on MS hardware. Furthermore you do not agree to any license agreement to buy or download the software, or when you buy the hardware.

So essentially, as far as I can tell, he's too legit to quit.

Looks good and I hope more people out there are working on similar projects. As they find their way here they will definitely be a great help to your cause.
Fred

Post by Fred »

One thing : "our cause" !!!

What I like is that it's smaller, cheaper, and does more! 3 pins more to be precise!
GartnerProspect

I like all of those things too :-)

But I have no experience with the MS2 rig at ALL. I've kept to the MS1Extra since A. I fear change B. I fear change. and C. I fear spending $100 and having it suck. :D
whitenoise
TO220 - Visibile

Post by whitenoise »

I just came across this:

http://www.evbplus.com/c32_modules/DIP40.html

Owing to my extremely poor knowledge of all things embedded, I cannot figure out if this is something that works as an MS2 processor substitute ? Maybe not with the v3.0 board, but a different one ;-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

whitenoise wrote:Owing to my extremely poor knowledge of all things embedded, I cannot figure out if this is something that works as an MS2 processor substitute ? Maybe not with the v3.0 board, but a different one ;-)
http://www.technologicalarts.ca/catalog ... cts_id=399

I don't want to come across as the bad guy here, but if you wanna do such things without writing your own code for them, or porting mine to it, please keep it to email/pm and off here. We don't want to wind up in hot water when there is no need. Tech art does a DIP40 card as well. They don't match ms pinout though, but then again, what is the point. you gain little more. That one I link doubles your IO pins though, and would just run ms2 code. Don't discuss it here though please as it is outside of our scope and potentially illegal.

Lance has said in the past that permission is generally granted for individuals to make one off boards for themselves when it is asked for. Just ask, then when they say yes, go ahead and do it!

Admin.
whitenoise
TO220 - Visibile

Post by whitenoise »

sorry about that, I didn't realise the legal implications of improving upon what is supposed to be an open-source project. I neither have the ability nor inclination to make something this, I was just trying to contribute. Henceforth I will make no reference to megasquirt hardware on this forum.
Fred

Post by Fred »

No no no, relax man :-)

Talking about ms hardware is fine. Talking about running MS code on your hardware... not so fine. Saying "I run ms code on my home brew hardware" is OK in passing in context, but sharing the schematics and planning it here... not so much.

Do you see what I mean? I hope so.

Admin.
GartnerProspect

whitenoise wrote:sorry about that, I didn't realise the legal implications of improving upon what is supposed to be an open-source project. I neither have the ability nor inclination to make something this, I was just trying to contribute. Henceforth I will make no reference to megasquirt hardware on this forum.
And now you see why B&G will never get a dime of my money again, nor any money from any of my buds either. They treated me like some sort of criminal when I simply made some open suggestions about a project I thought was open too...

If you've ever wondered why there is so little talk about really custom work, it's not because people aren't doing it. It's because anybody who posts anything potentially competing or even remotely infringing on the current MS philosophy (one they WISH they could legally enforce), gets promptly punched in the dick. Been there, done that. I'm probably riding a fine line as it is posting here. It's really a shame that we have to tippy toe around.

It takes a lot to irritate me, but as you can see, I'm there... Grumble.
Fred

Post by Fred »

You aren't alone gartner, but we just have to let it go and move on :-)

Holding onto resentment only hurts you, not them.

Let's make this the positive place where people post their (legal and moral) ideas freely :-)

Admin.