MS developer compensation only for some.

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
Costa
Banned!

MS developer compensation only for some.

Post by Costa »

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 91&t=46131
gslender wrote:I can never understand why there is a defense of "we are basically volunteering our time and essentially get nothing" but equally at the same time everything is kept in a shroud of darkness with no open explanation of the facts and/or arrangements when clearly there is something being obtained and value being kept?

IP is one significant part of the value being kept - if you think it is worthing nothing, then truly open source the code
previously: ca7
Bangbug
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: MS developer compensation only for some.

Post by Bangbug »

Touchy subject ;)

If it's freely donated, then it should be freely available.

In saying that, it can easily be freely available, if they post all of their contributions separately.
But like a piston, it's not much use without a rod. (aka context)

Solution, come over to Freeems!
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

I've entirely lost respect for and am disappointed with Jean after reading comments like:
So asking for test gear donation seems like a good way to at least get something useful for yourself.
and
And if you're frustrated that you're not getting anything then you can stop working on it.
and
But speculating about what the devs receive (which is what your doing because you don't know) seems crass and irrelevant.
What gslender wrote is absolutely relevant to the point of the original post and what's speculative about factually acknowledging IP retention with a cut in profits? I would say it's only speculative if this information wasn't clearly spelled out and that volunteer devs are left to figure it out on their own. Contributors should be fully informed about what they're getting into, especially when they're offering to expand support for a commercial product overseen by a select few who consider the mere availability of the product to be the reward in itself. Hell, volunteer devs should consider themselves lucky they don't get banned from the forum. Uh..oh yeah, that's happened. :roll:

At no point did I see anyone pondering how much the core devs actually pull at the end of the day/month/year nor do I see anyone only benefiting themselves by (potentially at best) getting "free" gear that directly leads back to the commodity and a wider customer base. Where's the respect for volunteer developers? Why so much arrogance? On the flip side, gslender showed no disrespect to the sacred devs and got reamed.

I find the following from Ken equally offensive:
I am splitting this topic from the original and locking the thread. There is no need to discuss compensation as it is the private business of James, myself and B&G.
"Fuck you, contributors!"

-Jeff
Fred

Post by Fred »

Bangbug wrote:Touchy subject ;)
ToxicGumbo wrote:Why so much arrogance? On the flip side, gslender showed no disrespect to the sacred devs and got reamed.
ToxicGumbo wrote:Why so much fear? On the flip side, gslender showed no disrespect to the scared devs and got reamed.
I think it's about time I posted some info that I have up my sleeve.

Thread cached, btw.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Some relevant info, perhaps?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1570&p=27877#p27877

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!