What is the Consensus on Winlog?

Discuss MegaSquirt, VEMS and other non-free hardware and software here.
toalan
Wideband Wizard

What is the Consensus on Winlog?

Post by toalan »

The winlog datalogging software, http://www.devtechnics.com/winlog.htm

For those who have used it, what do you think about it?

Regards,

Alan To
EssEss
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: What is the Consensus on Winlog?

Post by EssEss »

I wanted to write a plugin for it and the developer was not at all friendly and quite smug about his golden turd.
Unfortunately its the only thing I can log my 2A0 with at the moment.
Fred

Post by Fred »

"MegaSquirt *** EXPERIMENTAL Based on modified MegaTune source, provided by Eric Fahlgren ***"

GPL violation right there! MegaTune had other contributors and thus can't be just closed up into winlog like that.

Plus, if Eric "gave" him the source, they are probably mates, which could explain the "not at all friendly" nature of the dude.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
EssEss
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by EssEss »

Maybe I was harsh .. it does what it needs to do and I don't really feel bad about paying the 20$ to unlock all the features.
I wanted to extend it through his plugin interface and thats where I ran into problems. If you plan on doing the same, beware.

I ended up moving on to TunerPro .. now that guy is a class act. Mark Mansur is super helpful and willing to listen and provide feedback on your code/ideas. He cares and it shows.
toalan
Wideband Wizard

Post by toalan »

The reason why I ask about Winlog is that I want to bundle the software along with the lambda controllers that I sell. Thanks for the info about tunerpro, I just contacted him about license pricing. Are there other software similar in nature to Winlog and tunerpro?

What kind of support does winlog have for MS? For just displaying stuff, there is no need to look at the megatune source code, there is info about the MS protocol here and there, if all else fails you can look at the MS source code and see the serial protocol.
Fred

Post by Fred »

toalan wrote:The reason why I ask about Winlog is that I want to bundle the software along with the lambda controllers that I sell. Thanks for the info about tunerpro, I just contacted him about license pricing. Are there other software similar in nature to Winlog and tunerpro?
You could ask Phil about MLV (Mega Log Viewer) I'm sure he'd be happy to take your cash :-)
What kind of support does winlog have for MS? For just displaying stuff, there is no need to look at the megatune source code, there is info about the MS protocol here and there, if all else fails you can look at the MS source code and see the serial protocol.
You're right, there is no need, but it states on the site that it used the code...

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!