Unsupported engine platforms (what is there?)

For discussing and developing different RPM/Position decoders using our superior modular architecture! One thread per pattern, please.
GrowlingandBiffo
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Unsupported engine platforms (what is there?)

Post by GrowlingandBiffo »

I acquired the VEMS hardware and used a lot of time to figure out how to handle this engine. In my case a Maserati V6. Then I found the platform was not open source anymore and the hardware landed in the junkbox. End of project!
OK, so how much do you want for the VEMS hardware?

Is is 3.3, 3.2, or 3.1?

3.1 was the last Open Source version.
Einar
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by Einar »

Fred wrote:That should be totally simple. As far as I can tell there is nothing special about odd fire engines other than the odd fireness. A good design up front takes care of such issues.
Nice to hear that odd-fire will be in the plan from the beginning. It's much easier than hacking it afterwards. Feature growth is always frustrating.
Most welcome. It should be obvious after 10 months that it's no overnight fizzer though.
Thanks. Nice to hear.
Sounds a bit sulky! Sounds a bit selfish too. If you were only doing it for a result you were destined to be disappointed. You need to be in it for it. Coding for the fun and satisfaction available.
Sulky? I must admit that. As for the fun & satisfaction I need to see it live to be fun. Selfish maybe, but I don't perform well without being driven by motivation. And wind in my hair and the roar of an engine is a good motivation. ;-)
That's what this thread is for :-) Start a VEMS sulk story in the lounge or non-free section if you want, or just lay out the specs required for it here and don't waste your time on that.
I don't plan on making a VEMS story of any kind. I'll see if I can dig out some of what I found from the Marelli unit and the engine itself. At the moment I'm building a new garage/workshop and restoring an old car. So free spare time is not at hand to much extent. Thus I cannot involve in design and code as I probably would be dragging in that department.

And the HW have been used as "development board" for other projects from furnace control to alarm central. I'm still an AvrFreak.. It was 3.3 from Dec 2005.
sry_not4sale
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by sry_not4sale »

Is the first iteration of hardware likely to support rotaries??

The only tricky thing I could imagine is the timing - 2 plugs per rotor (2 rotors), with the plugs for each rotor split by x degrees varying on load.
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Hardware wise, I don't see a reason why not. I think it would be a simple question of software to back it.
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

Awesomes :ugeek:
Fred

Post by Fred »

I was wondering when that question would pop up ;-)

Should be a piece of piss to do. What type of "cam" / "crank" signals do they have?

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

Quick search reveals they have a VR crank sensor with:
24 tooth wheel plus the 2 tooth home wheel (which a tooth passes one of the sensors every TDC)
Fred

Post by Fred »

You better get your arse into gear and get some hardware then! That is the same as almost all toyota motors and the same as what i have outside and therefore the same as I am already writing code for ;-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

What about staged injectors?
Quan-Time
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Quan-Time »

posting these by request, they are all motorbike pickups. They all bolt directly to the crank.
This is a Yamaha TRX-850 timing pickup Left is modified to 36-1 spec, the one on the right is standard, which is 4 teeth, 1 tooth is long, its exactly 45deg long. The engine is a 2cyl parallel twin fired at 270deg. Basically its a v-twin.

This is a selection of Honda units. The one on the far right is a 12-3 which is common. Its for a VTR1000, or commonly called a RC51. Its a V-twin, 2 cylinder. The other 2 are as yet un-identified, BUT i suspect the middle one is a honda VFR800, which is a V4, 800cc engine. Im fairly positive it has 2 sensors, one on each side of the crank, and each sensor runs only 2 cylinder events. Basically its a pair of V-twins stuck together.

Honda Goldwing / Valkyrie (GL1500). ~1600cc flat 6. Yes, a 6 cylinder bike.

3 various yamaha units. Its dependant on what year the bike came out. But yamaha mostly use the same one across their range, and just tweak the ECU to match it.. 18-1, 24-2 are common units. Most of these bikes are inline 4cylinder engine
http://img707.imageshack.us/i/image008ex.jpg/

kawasaki ZX12, and heres a blurb i got on it:
The timing wheel is shown with cylinders 1 and 4 at TDC. You can see that the sensor is mounted 10 degrees off the TDC line. This means that when tab 8 is directly in front of the sensor the crank is at 10 BTDC. Which is the idle timing advance specified in the manual.

In looking at the software I find that actually tab 7 would trigger the Coil timing calculation. It would pull the value from the coil maps shown above and then subtract it from 67.5 degrees. The idle figure, and lowest value shown, in the map is 64. As explained above this is a fraction of 90 degrees, 256 being 1/1 and 64/256 = 1/4 = 22.5 degrees.

Now when tab 7 is in front of the sensor 67.5 degrees in the future is half way between tabs 1 and 8. Of course 67.5 - 22.5 = 45 degrees. 45 degrees after tab 7 is in front of the sensor would be tab 8 in front of the sensor or as stated above 10 BTDC.

So the formula ends up being 12.5 - ((mapvalue / 256) * 90) = degrees BTDC

`98 - 01 kwak zx6 (inline 4cyl, its identical to zx10 and quite possibly some ZZR's too.

Kawasaki, but not sure which one.. Possibly a GPZ 96 model. Same as the yamaha unit as above.. 4cyl engine

Suzuki gsxr1100 and bandit rotor..

Honda NSR250 MC28 2 stroke v-twin.

After doing a fairly big search to cover many bases. It seems the 12-3 and the 4+1 (4 teeth, 1 long tooth) are the most common. Its quite surprising how many bikes they are on. NipponDenso and Mitsubishi electric made these and sold them as a "complete kit" to the 4 main motorcycle manuf's in japan. Euro (triumph, ducati, MV, KTM, BMW, etc..) are all different again..
ND / mitshi would hard program the ECU on the bike to the customers requirements, and thats it. It was fixed. Never to be adjusted or screwed with again. Its why I think having these included would be a HUGE benefit to many people.

I hope this information can help.