Unsupported engine platforms (what is there?)

For discussing and developing different RPM/Position decoders using our superior modular architecture! One thread per pattern, please.
Fred

Unsupported engine platforms (what is there?)

Post by Fred »

Hi,

This afternoon it occurred to me that it could be advantageous if we were to target getting obscure engines supported early on. Stuff that ISN'T supported by any MS variant directly. Just a thought, but if you know of any it could be a good way to bring more people on board sooner as unsupported folks will be most keen to get stuck in and help create something to run their cars.

I know this is in the wrong sub section, but it will see more exposure here. I'll move it later.

Today I was told that SW20 MR2s don't have MS support. I assumed that being Toyota they would be 24/2 inside. Apparently I may have been wrong. This is what sparked the thought...

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
thebigmacd
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Unsupported engine platforms (what is there?)

Post by thebigmacd »

LT1 Optispark (see LTCC and Delteq for examples of aftermarket decoding modules)
Keith MacDonald
Control Engineering (Systems) Technologist
Fred

Post by Fred »

Thanks Keith :-)

I believe you mean the one Sean is working on : http://www.diyefi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=71

I think he mentioned a second different system on the same engine though. Perhaps that would also be worth pursuing?

Fred.
GartnerProspect
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by GartnerProspect »

The Subaru 6/7 tooth arrangement wasn't supported at all but I think there is working code now. But it's an unusual tooth pattern but a rather popular platform for modification on all continents...

Oh, and I have one so naturally :mrgreen:
Fred

Post by Fred »

ms2 works flawlessly with 6/7 subby code :-) Someone else pmed me the same thing. Are you on any subaru boards? If so, you should flick them a link to this site ;-)
AbeFM
Post Whore!

Post by AbeFM »

I heard of someone getting the MS-I running on a miata by cutting off one of it's four, unevenly spaced teeth (the TDC tooth) and calling it a 4-1 wheel. Sure, the tooth at the bottom isn't evenly spaced, but somehow this doesn't bother anything.

I have no idea what useful information this post includes, but I found it interesting, and lets your know that oftentimes stuff works better than you think
Brian
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Brian »

The Buell m/cycle engine 2003 to 2007 has a cam rotor cup (see attachment).
If the wheel is easy to decode, I could start laying out the 3rd mini ecu for this bike. The last one I showed on this forum has been removed. Everything worked fine, but the code cannot read the wheel, but it can read the oddfire tach output from the stock ecm, but to be able to use "dual table" it must sync up, and when reading the tacho output from the stock ecm it takes too long to start the engine, which is understandable as it's only one pulse per crank rev, and they are oddfire, also the beginning of the injection event is not suited. The engine is a 45 degree v-twin, it is like a 2 cyl inline and one cyl is rotated 45 degrees forward. It has a siamese type inlet with one throttle body feeding both cyliinders, and one inj per cyl, the inj's are about 5" apart, so fuel sharing takes place and a fuel table for each inj is required. Not easy to tune, but can be tuned.
Attachments
Buell cam position sensor dwg.gif
(6.02 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Fred

Post by Fred »

I can see that being doable I think. I have very little experience with writing code to do that sort of thing, but I think I could make it work. It is definitely a good idea for you to let me get the toyota code working AND reliable first though. I also need to come up with a scheme for keeping track of where we are that will work cleanly for multiple modes of operation. I may start a thread on that at some point, but it's down the list a little right now.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Have you considered hitting up James for some test code for it? That will get you a usable bike a lot sooner than I can finish the FreeEMS code to a decent standard. I know it goes against the point of this thread, but you should definitely look after number 1 first.

Fred.
Brian
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Brian »

Fred, its not urgent, I can use and tune the stock ecu, it works OK, but is difficult to control. I have to chain it down and beat it into submission to get it to do what I want : ) I asked about this wheel now rather than later because if I don't ask there is no possiblity at all : )

I did ask James a while back but space within the wheel decoder and free time were short. You have given me another idea to persue however, I need to do a lot more bench testing... Also at the end of the day I could fit a different wheel and sensor in the 2" diameter space available but that's for another thread.