Honda K Series Discussion

For discussing and developing different RPM/Position decoders using our superior modular architecture! One thread per pattern, please.
Jpolanco
TO220 - Visibile

Re: Honda K Series Discussion

Post by Jpolanco »

Hi Fred and every body else in the forum.
Just a bump to remind you that I am waiting as you recommended.

Juan
Fred

Post by Fred »

I've asked someone with some first hand K-Series knowledge to post what he knows. Fingers crossed that he does :-)

I think since last time I wrote this which you should probably read: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1699

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
baldur
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by baldur »

I am running a K20 myself on modified MS1-extra firmware that I wrote to support the 12+1 trigger. I am not using cam sync in my set up but firing wasted spark instead and with no VVT, I replaced the VVT actuator with an adjustable static timing pulley from Toda Racing in Japan. I can still tell you a few things about the triggers on this engine.
Pictures of trigger wheels, the one of the cam wheels is not very good but it shows the general idea.
http://i.imgur.com/Zi2Q4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uwyrs.jpg

The inlet cam has a 4 tooth wheel bolted to the back of it, evenly spaced, equal width teeth so it is of no use for engine phasing, used for cam angle sensing only.
The exhaust cam has a 4 tooth wheel bolted to the back of it, one edge is evenly spaced IIRC but the teeth have different widths so this is the input you need to use for phasing.
The crank wheel has 12 evenly spaced teeth and one extra tooth that comes 10 degrees after TDC on cyl #1/4.

FREDIT: "they are all hall" re sensors.
Last edited by Fred on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add sensor info.
Fred

Post by Fred »

OK, so the phasing thing might be subtle but the crank wheel should be fairly straight forward to do once my time based sync stuff is solid. Right now it sucks... but I'm working on it. Once it's solid I'll take a crack at this too :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Jpolanco
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Jpolanco »

Well I knew that right now might be hard I just wanted to let you know that I am still wating and almost daily reading the updates to firmware and hardware. I am ready when you are :). Baldur I know of your project but there are more details :P How did it do for the the seasons, did the transmission that you are using hold more that the one from the vw engine. and you disable vvt because for you is to slow acting but is the vtec still in use? Last with the custom static timing pulley did you notice any lost in performance compare to the other engines that I know you have tuned.

Juan
baldur
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by baldur »

Jpolanco wrote:Baldur I know of your project but there are more details :P How did it do for the the seasons, did the transmission that you are using hold more that the one from the vw engine. and you disable vvt because for you is to slow acting but is the vtec still in use? Last with the custom static timing pulley did you notice any lost in performance compare to the other engines that I know you have tuned.

Juan
We wrecked two engines this season, turns out the stock Honda connecting rods don't like making 400hp and they like nitrous even less, these were stock engines because we didn't have the time to build an engine with stronger internals. The vtec is still in use, just controlled by the ECU to switch on at a certain RPM. I have not tuned an engine like this with a turbo before so I can't comment on the relative performance, but of course the VVT has no effect on peak power, it only broadens the power band slightly.