Via's 87 Toyota Supra Turbo (29th)

If you're running FreeEMS on any engine whether it be in a vehicle or not, please post about it here!
via
QFP80 - Contributor

Via's 87 Toyota Supra Turbo (29th)

Post by via »

I am officially claiming #29 with my 7mgte powered supra, running ignition and fuel on freeems.

Owner: Matthew Via
Car: 1987 Toyota Supra Turbo
Engine: 7M-GTE
Mods:
- Engine running crappy oem replacement ross pistons with a 010 overbore
- 57 trim ct-26 turbo
- 550cc bosch low impedence injectors
- Aeromotive AFPR
- Titan MLS head gasket
- crappy electronic boost controller
- 3inch turbo back exhaust
- Tokiko electronically adjustable shocks (drop in replacement for stock TEMS)

I've been running on the stock ECU with 13ish psi of boost. Last I dyno'd, before replacing the exhaust, I was putting out 296 rwhp. Stock ECU is retardedly conservative in richness, often around 9.5/10:1 under boost, so I'm expecting a good performance increase from proper tuning even without bumping the boost.

I officially took it on the street for a few minutes for the first time today, I had it smoothly idling on Friday.

Obligitory video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgZOYDw8_-w

TA board build thread (episode of n00bness): viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2367
Last edited by via on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Re: Via's 87 Toyota Supra Turbo

Post by Fred »

Congratulations! It was a long bumpy DIY road, but you made it in the end :-)

I look forward to your future progress on this car! I see it becoming somewhat infamous!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
via
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: Via's 87 Toyota Supra Turbo (29th)

Post by via »

Just as an update, I've got a pretty rough tune for most of <5000 rpms and <100 kpa. Log attached of some driving around, including some nice constant-load uphillness.

I have lambda set to 1 for all of <100kpa for every rpm, just to make getting the VE table down easier. There are a couple of spots that need help:
- All rpms at overrrun tend to be rich
- Very low load and load rpm has some discontinuities in it, and a bit rich.
- A couple of slightly lean areas in the 2500-3000 rpm range.

Otherwise its very drivable. If I get those areas fixed, I might try a little positive manifold pressure tomorrow.
Attachments
2014.01.20-20.23.46.bin.bz2
(691.96 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times
Fred

Post by Fred »

You shouldn't be at stoich at 100kpa, dude. If you want a safe place to tune it, tune it at 13:1 or so everywhere, then dial the lambda map back out afterward. Let's take a look at how the log looks, I guess. brb.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Some screenshots from ULV that you might enjoy:

via
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by via »

I finished getting the new ignitor hooked up and re-timed today. I haven't spent a huge amount of time tuning so its not terribly better in terms of closeness-to-lambda, but while overall it is much better you can still see the areas under load around 2200 rpms where it vibrates a bit, sometimes misses.

I'd ignore most of the first half the log, it wasn't 100% warmed up, and for the first couple of minutes I had forgotten to load my VE table over the default all-60.

This log is from a firmware version that was uncommitted -- only things different from what the hash the logfile should say and reality is the tolerance being 100 and a different decoder offset.
Attachments
2014.01.25-16.50.25.bin.bz2
(2.03 MiB) Downloaded 1024 times
Fred

Post by Fred »

Re uncommitted logs, I think I've linked you this before, but please read: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=2323

The log shows you using a firmware revision after you merged in the edge change, so that's likely legit (unless the uncommitted stuff (which could be anything at all) was reverting it).

I look forward to a log from fully committed sources and config in the near future. I guess that could be Monday's drive to work? Let me know if you need an entry in this thread :-)
via
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by via »

I definetely have ignition problems, and they aren't just limited to that one rpm range. Tends to happen a lot about 4000 rpms even with good looking AFRs. I'm going to replace the wires from the igniter to the coils soon, that might be the culprit. I've had some trouble with them before, but I thought it was limited to just the connectors that I replaced, maybe not.

With the help of a friend, I slowly increased boost while checking AFRs until I was in the 10-12 psi area. Right now I'm keeping afr's at in the 11-12:1 range. I know I can go higher, and I will eventually. The laptop only lasted about 30 minutes so I didn't get to fine tune a lot of things. We took some videos of stuff after tuning for a while. Keep in mind my 1st gear is troublesome so I always accelerate from 2nd, and don't really go above 4000 rpms due to the missing. Its still fun even with those restrictions.

Quick slow acceleration from a stoplight: http://youtu.be/Ij0xBNfDFvc
Some fun driving (staying below 4000 rpm and around 11.5:1 afr) out near where I live: http://youtu.be/eDkM--8ko6s
via
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by via »

Today I:
- Replaced spark plugs. The old ones weren't in great shape, but they didn't look unworkable either.
- Cleaned out the spark galley of the little bit of oil down there
- Replaced the wires from the igniter to the coils.

None of these things made the tiniest difference. I can reproduce the problem free-revving. I suppose I just wasn't trying hard enough before (and before, the old igniter and shitty tach reading made me think I was revving a lot higher than I was). I obtained a log of me just hitting 4000 rpms repeatedly in neutral to get a concise log of it happening. When it happens in idle it just sounds like its missing a LOT and the tach goes a bit apeshit (it starts to drop every time there is a spark failure).

I was able to look at the timing marks with a light while manipulating the throttle, and it seems when I get close to 4000 rpms the timing starts to retard rapidly, though if I hold it steady <4000 rpms, the timing mark is fairly steady. EMStudio says my advance is around 40* when this happens, my table definetely does not retard in this manner. Around where the issue starts to happen its close to TDC. My analysis of this is that something is wrong causing timing to not be right at high rpms, causing timing to be far too retarded, ...and would that cause it to miss like that? Probably along with raising my exhaust temps dramatically. There's often a backfire rumble associated with this.

I don't suppose its possible something in the even.teeth branch is causing an issue like this?

P.S.: the attached log is still from the same firmware as earlier. I've been lazy about loading a new one on, but I can do that if I must now.

EDIT: I am attaching a new log with correct git hash for my updated firmware loaded with tables and with the log that has extra stuff enabled in it.
Attachments
2014.01.27-20.36.17.bin.bz2
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 987 times
2014.01.27-18.20.37.bin.bz2
(198.23 KiB) Downloaded 985 times
Fred

Post by Fred »

So the even tooth fix branch was in use on Sim's car, but his car is not VR based, so it just affected timing offset and worked the same. Expected. I can't see there being an issue with that at all. Only on VR setups, either it's right, or wrong. It sounds like you've got other shit going on that is stopping us from knowing if it's right or wrong. Sorry for huge delay on this reply.