Mike's 87 Chevy Camaro 383ci engine (14th)

If you're running FreeEMS on any engine whether it be in a vehicle or not, please post about it here!
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: Mikes 87 Chevy Camaro 383ci engine (14th)

Post by malcom2073 »

Fred wrote:LOL @ 5 :-)

Where is 6 "put it on the correct edge, added some air flow to raise min idle, drove it and got it rough tuned" ? :-)
Ah forgot to mention, in #4, I pulled a vacuum hose to give it a decent amount of air. I am NOT driving it at 58 degrees of timing just to keep it running.

Edit: It's half because I'm a wuss, and half because that means there is something seriously wrong. Should figure out why it's not running proper before I try driving/tuning it.
Fred

Re: Mikes 87 Chevy Camaro 383ci engine (14th)

Post by Fred »

Did you generate a log with the two decoders to show the difference in idle map readings with the same timing?

From IRC:

(09:36:26) Fred: (01:06:05) malcom2073: O2 jumps way too lean during transitions, needs a lot of tuning before I can drive it.
(09:36:26) Fred: If this remains your attitude, you'll likely never get it tuned. You NEED to get out there and cruise in it. It'll be jerky and shit and you can get it closer very quickly. You need a friend driving or EMStudioing to do this.
(09:36:34) Fred: Transitions = sudden? Or very soft?
(09:36:47) Fred: idle is the WORST POSSIBLE place for throttle movement

You proved you can rev it up to 4k without hassle. Rev it up, let out the clutch a bit, and move. when you find it's way lean with steady state at 2 or 3k just cruising along, fix it, etc. You CAN NOT do a LOT of tuning while idling. That's 4 cells... how long does it take to adjust 4 cells?
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!