Mike's 87 Chevy Camaro 383ci engine (14th)

If you're running FreeEMS on any engine whether it be in a vehicle or not, please post about it here!
malcom2073
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Mike's 87 Chevy Camaro 383ci engine (14th)

Post by malcom2073 »

It's alive!!!

Owner: Mike
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Camaro
Engine: Small Block Chevy V8
Capacity: 383CI
Power Adders: HAH!
Hardware: Jaguar A3

Videos:
First tests:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt69Pb4EqmM

Getting there...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Is8VRfU-M

Finally running!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQoMmq1w0h4
Fred

Re: Mikes 87 Chevy Camaro 383ci engine (14th)

Post by Fred »

Good work, Mike! :-)

I expect this will do wonders for the EMStudio UI :-)

Congratulations!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Dan
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Dan »

Awesome work!
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Congratulations on the 3rd Jaguar to run an engine!!! :-)
BenFenner

Post by BenFenner »

Woohoo!
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Congratulations! It's a testament to your skills, FreeEMS, and the design of the Jaguar that this took such an incredibly short time to pull together. Well done.

-Jeff
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

Got it up to temperature today playing around with the VE table. Took a log of it revving up. It does a funny little oscillation due to the un-smooth VE table... but it actually idles fairly well.

malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

And of course I forgot to hit "save" to save my changes to RAM, so I lost them when I disconnected the ECU. The car had started to get warm, so I decided I should hook up my cooling system proper so I can tune it idling at temperature. I hooked up my radiator fan and restarted the vehicle, couldn't for the life of me get it to idle! It would start, run for a few seconds, then die. Not losing sync, just running super rich (from smell perhaps? WBO2 is useless at these edge cases).

Fred pointed out that a VE of ~26 is illogically low, and thus is likely a configuration issue. Double checking I found that my configuration is in fact incorrect. I never changed the injection events per cycle after I went from 2 to 8 injection events. I will make that change and play around, see if I can get the car to idle again.

Other than the configuration issue which was an issue when it was running fine earlier, I'm not entirely sure what could be causing it to not run. The only real difference was the amount of noise the fan put out, since it was always on, and the relay hooked up to power. I disabled both of these but the car still would not run, so if they did have an effect, it was permanent.

Played with the timing a bit when I couldn't get it running, and I could almost get it to stay running when retarding the timing significantly. Can't say how far, but at least back to 0, possibly so far as -5 or -10 degrees. It was still very rough and shook the engine something fierce even at idle.

I should go back in my old logs and look at the PW, VE, and other variables during cranking/idle so as to make sure that what the car is doing now, makes sense with what it was doing back then. If all other variables are identical then perhaps something broke when I was digging around in the engine bay.

So I have a few things to test and a few things that need to be done.

I REALLY need to get a timing light and set the timing proper.
I REALLY need to get the fan running with the car so I can tune at temp.
I really should get an IAT sensor, eventually hardcoding to 20C won't cut it.
I need to post my configuration up here for people to look at and verify that everything is sane.
Verify current log against old logs, see if there is any difference.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fred pointed out that a VE of ~26 is illogically low, and thus is likely a configuration issue. Double checking I found that my configuration is in fact incorrect. I never changed the injection events per cycle after I went from 2 to 8 injection events. I will make that change and play around, see if I can get the car to idle again.
It should be calculated, but in the mean time, user beware. It's typically something you configure exactly once and don't touch again, anyway.
so if they did have an effect, it was permanent.
ROFL :-)
Played with the timing a bit when I couldn't get it running, and I could almost get it to stay running when retarding the timing significantly. Can't say how far, but at least back to 0, possibly so far as -5 or -10 degrees. It was still very rough and shook the engine something fierce even at idle.
Sound like dizzy with some leads in wrong order. Did you take any off while messing with the fan?
If all other variables are identical then perhaps something broke when I was digging around in the engine bay.
See above.
So I have a few things to test and a few things that need to be done.

I REALLY need to get a timing light and set the timing proper.
I REALLY need to get the fan running with the car so I can tune at temp.
I really should get an IAT sensor, eventually hardcoding to 20C won't cut it.
I need to post my configuration up here for people to look at and verify that everything is sane.
Verify current log against old logs, see if there is any difference.
malcom2073 wrote:And of course I forgot to hit "save" to save my changes to RAM, so I lost them when I disconnected the ECU.
You missed one :-) Also, the IAT is a small deal. Generate yourself a linear lookup table from REAL extreme to REAL extreme, then you can see the genuine worst case effect, and get a softer more forgiving response from the pot. Ditch the pullup for this use or it'll skew things.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
malcom2073

Post by malcom2073 »

Fred wrote:It should be calculated, but in the mean time, user beware. It's typically something you configure exactly once and don't touch again, anyway.
I'll fix it before continuing
Fred wrote:ROFL :-)
I hope not :/
Fred wrote:Sound like dizzy with some leads in wrong order. Did you take any off while messing with the fan?
Fred wrote:See above.
No, verified and re-verified everything is hooked up.
Fred wrote:You missed one :-) Also, the IAT is a small deal. Generate yourself a linear lookup table from REAL extreme to REAL extreme, then you can see the genuine worst case effect, and get a softer more forgiving response from the pot. Ditch the pullup for this use or it'll skew things.
I'm not using a pullup, It's hardcoded.