Peter's 2002 Honda Accord (10th)

If you're running FreeEMS on any engine whether it be in a vehicle or not, please post about it here!
Peter
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Peter's 2002 Honda Accord (10th)

Post by Peter »

This was a $900 USD project car I bought about two and a half years ago, with about 170k on it. After fixing minor problems, like wheel bearings that had ran out of grease, I decided to do an engine and transmission swap. Originally it had a J30A1(3.0L, V6, 24valve, overhead cams) engine that burned a little oil with a B7XA transmission that slipped in third gear. I put a 2002 Acura MDX J35A3(same block but a 3.5L) and 6 speed manual transmission out of a 2006 Honda Accord. That setup originally had one turbo on it, but when that engine's timing belt tensioner died I decided to put a smaller primary turbo on it to make it boost earlier in the RPM range. I have to say this is the best it has ever run, and it's the first night with almost no tuning. The smaller primary turbo is out of some kind of an old Volvo. The secondary turbo is a T3/T4 turbo from ebay. It uses a 6-2 Cam sync with a full sequential hack from Fred. :) I used a TA card with LM1949 injector drivers, and a MAX9926 variable reluctance sensor chip. For record keeping purposes the odometer is at 189791.

A video of the first start.
:-/ I deleted my gmail account, and my youtube account went with it.

A video of the first drive. Sorry about the poor quality.
Same here, I'll try and find a copy of them.

Fred tells me I'm the "highest FreeEMS user". lol Literally not figuratively, about 7200ft. It also looks like I have the newest vehicle.

A big thanks to Fred and Dan for all their hard work on the software and hardware schematics.

I'll edit this post with some pictures when I get upstairs, and fire up Winblows 7. Unless somebody responds first, and then I'll make a new post.

The original J35 single turbo setup.
A image that got lost when closing my Facebook account.

The latest setup.

A cold day working on some problem.

Showing off the ground clearance. "Honda Prerunner Style"

The board if you haven't found/read the build thread yet. viewtopic.php?f=62&t=1533

Fred, feel free to edit this to your liking. This could probably go under the slightly drunk post section.

Edit2: Fixed some picture links
Last edited by Peter on Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
:-p
sim
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: #10 Peter's 2002 Honda Accord

Post by sim »

So very awesome!

Love the car, envy the board, and wish you the best of luck.

From number seven, possibly the slowest FreeEMS car, and definitely the hackiest:

Good work!

Oh, and coming from the slowest car, street racing == bad, ;) glad you won (twice).
Last edited by sim on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
<@TekniQue> but in the end, it's code that makes a computer useful
Fred

Post by Fred »

Fuck that! I'm not editing it! I'm tempted to not let you edit it either! :-p Too awesome for words. Yes, it's decided, all updates will go in further posts, because that post is going down in history! :-) Unless you want me to remove the illegal bits at some point. That I could understand.

I'm laughing and cheering here! Fantastic that you're so happy with it. Typically irresponsible that you're thrashing it with no tune and no wideband. You probably shouldn't look at it like "FreeEMS made it fast" though, more like "OEM stopped it from showing its true colours" fast is the hardware, not the EMS, even MS1 can go fast. Though I bet it runs WAY better than any MS shit does. Epic win.

Stickers: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1437 I'll harass and abuse Eli until he comes through for you :-)

I'm so happy that you're so happy! I feel proud!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

I street raced my truck once, down town auckland, friday night, cops all around, some crappy EMS, against an evo 6 on more boost, nearly quadrupled the speed limit, hell of a buzz, not at all recommended, though. First time I had lined it up on something else. It kept up, but the gear ratios and suspension were no good, so he got me off the roll, then i just stuck behind him till we both had to break for another car. Dude didn't know what to say, a flat deck truck coming close to catching his fancy evo :-) Awesome feeling. I should point out, no driveways, no cross roads, island and plants to oncoming traffic, two lanes each way, no people walking, etc, pretty safe spot, except for being caught, ridiculously easy to be busted there... <3 radar detector. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pbdLqTh_x4
Fred

Post by Fred »

OK, I put an exact copy of your post somewhere safe. Go ahead and tone down the illegal stuff if you want. It does have your plates in it... :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Peter wrote:It uses a 6-2 Cam sync with a full sequential hack from Fred. :)
BTW, this is not a hack! The only hack is running the car from a single cam gear instead of the crank and a cam gear. The code that is doing that running from that wheel is the real deal, and the code I added to allow scheduled fuel (ie sequential on a wheel with not enough teeth to manually configure it) is the real deal too. It was easier to do it properly than to do the hack that I initially suggested, so I did. More good stuff is coming, too :-)
gixxer-harry
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by gixxer-harry »

This is so cool
This freeEMS is on a roll
Thanks for all your hard work,i only can hope that my bike will run that good on freeEMS
Peter
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Peter »

Thanks, sim and grixxer.
Fred wrote:Unless you want me to remove the illegal bits at some point.
At some point maybe. Most of it would be considered hear-say in court, and I'm more concerned about a possible employer seeing it than getting in trouble for it. I do feel kinda bad for the guy in the Chevy though. I wouldn't be happy if I had received the other end of that situation.
Fred wrote:Typically irresponsible that you're thrashing it with no tune and no wideband.
But it's wicked powerful now, I can't help myself.
Fred wrote:Dude didn't know what to say, a flat deck truck coming close to catching his fancy evo :-) Awesome feeling.
I'll probably have to tune it before I play with the EVOs, but it's pretty awesome as it is.
Fred wrote:BTW, this is not a hack!
I'll have to check out the changes on github today.
:-p
Fred

Post by Fred »

Must have been tuned REALLY badly before! :-) Just be careful, it could be on the lean side and feeling stronger than it ought to be. PLEASE wait for the wideband to show up and get setup on the car.

The changes are tiny. I'll push the code to master now, and start on some new changes to move all that scheduler shit to the config dirs.

I didn't lock your post, btw.

Fred.
Mops
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Mops »

interesting setup...

Can you share some details, such as:

1. how are you controlling the turbos... they are sequential, right ? can we have more pics of the exhaust manifolds (showing all the plumbing to the turbos), and also the intake side of the turbos ?

2. modern 3.5L v6 with boost... what sort of power is this making ? at what boost ? I take the engine compression is stock ? (which is?)