Fred's "Hotel Hyundai" 1988 Stellar! (3rd)

If you're running FreeEMS on any engine whether it be in a vehicle or not, please post about it here!
Fred

Re: Fred's "Hotel Hyundai" 1988 Stellar! (3rd)

Post by Fred »

Ended up shelling out around 90-100 bucks including courier to get a replacement hall sensor module after I exposed the open collector to raw 12v with my rats nest of wires a while back. Doh.

Tested the wiring and installed it tonight, plugs out, sync, outputs firing, oil pressure up. Plugs in, no sync, no outputs, just frustration.

Grabbed the laptop, looked at the source, used hex edit in EMStudio to adjust/disable the protections, in the hope that it wouldn't bend a rod/bust a gasket, and it fired right up and ran smooth as silk.

Logged it running in that state and the new apparently angles from the new hall sensor are way different, but completely consistent from low to high RPM. Maybe the new one is more accurate? I swear the old one changed with RPM. Anyway...

Drove it out onto the street and in the process realised the brakes were in bad shape, no pressure, long travel, weak force, not safe to drive amongst traffic or down a hill. Doh. Fingers crossed it's just low on fluid.

Also needs some rust repairs, a clean, and a general tidy up as WOF is due in about a week. Sigh.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: Fred's "Hotel Hyundai" 1988 Stellar! (3rd)

Post by Fred »

Well, about 2 years ago was the last time it ran, and about 3.5 the last time it was legal, but the other day I got it going again by reducing sync confirmations to the minimum for resync (min is 1, setting is 0 in raw form). Took it for a drive, still smoky, old stale fuel low octane and/or low from oil mixing in lots of pinging at low RPM at full throttle but seems good elsewhere. RPM with plugs out was perfect and no weirdness from the signals. Or was there? This has the super duper RPM code, maybe it was hiding my issue? I should check that but it's good enough to get up a driveway and move around from time to time which is the next year or so of its life as it's leaving Auckland soon.

In the last few days I've been building an A-frame adaptor for the front of it, bumper is off, 5 pieces of steel, 5 M10 fine bolts per side into the factory bumper and tow hook mounts. 50x50x6 angle on the bumper mounts and 100x100x6 angle on the towing ring mounts. 100x100x6 @ 915-917 long for the cross member that the A-frame bolts to.

Poor car is in decent shape, mostly. I will try to find a way to keep it dry ASAP.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!