M2cupcar's 1990 Mazda Mx-5 Miata FE3 Turbo (35th)

If you're running FreeEMS on any engine whether it be in a vehicle or not, please post about it here!
m2cupcar
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: M2cupcar's 1990 Mazda Mx-5 Miata FE3 Turbo (35th)

Post by m2cupcar »

I've been driving the Miata regularly. I have yet to put down a solid stone cold start tune. Seems like all my efforts just make it worse. Otherwise the car runs extremely well and is putting down good power. I upgraded my wastegate spring and have been running on that, yet to move on to tuning electronic boost control. Boost runs 11-14psi now. It pulls hard to the rev limit now with the upgraded intake manifold and larger throttle body. Makes short work of the little tires. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buQwg10DYww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyX8APURPXo
90 Miata | 302rwhp @ 6450rpm | 281rwftlbs @ 4800rpm | FE-dohc 2.0L turbo
Fred

Re: M2cupcar's 1990 Mazda Mx-5 Miata FE3 Turbo (35th)

Post by Fred »

There's a few factors we can fix to help your cold start:

1) delayed prime to wait for fuel pressure and/or prime on cranking instead of prime on key-on (which is dangerous on some setups that see many power cycles before starting, and wasteful/damaging on a car parked and using things requiring key intermittently).

2) distinct cranking fueling controlled only by TPS/CHT and maybe RPM?

3) post start enrich of some sort to fill the hole after starting before the mixture and fuel held on physical surfaces have stabilised/saturated

4) a warm up algorithm that's based on load, ie, less % under load, more at idle, etc, or maybe just a linear one that doesn't care, and only adds X fuel?

Other Rob and I have been pushing the finalised/finished firmware firmly closer to the bastardised branch that you're running, so I'm hopeful to get a half dozen or more of us running the good stuff before end of next year, and hopefully before your event.

Sweet photo and funny vids :-) Would love to see it with some traction and a 1-5 run :-D
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!