Air cooled VW setup tips?

For people running FreeEMS to discuss it and ask any questions about using and adjusting it.
Fred

Re: Air cooled VW setup tips?

Post by Fred »

I think a well filtered thermocouple is a good thing. They read a pretty wide range. The only trouble is that they need more circuitry, and more expense.

Anything tapped into the chamber material close to the fire is good. Under the spark plug is just one option.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
gwurr3
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by gwurr3 »

thanks y'all.

yeah i think reluctor on the crank with a sensor in the dizzy housing would be good. temp sensor drilled into the head somewhere hot. For injectors, what I meant originally was two injectors, one for each head, and a throttle-body in original carb position. What do you guys think about the 1 injector per two cylinder thing? V-pattern would be good. Maybe i should just get dual port heads.

thanks again, and fyi i might just pop a 2.3L ford in this thing, in which case I would also be using FreeEMS.

also, what board should I build? the jaguar? idk.
gwurr3
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by gwurr3 »

JaniM wrote:I have done several different setups on aircooled VW's.
Here is few engines: http://porvwoo.fi/Engines.php

I have 36-1 triggers and bracket for Ford vr sensor. These comes to fuel pump bolts.

One idea, if You want use singleport heads, how about use V-pattern injectors, which sprays both cylinders.
It might work.
those builds are sick, man
bradtpt
TO220 - Visibile

Post by bradtpt »

Haven't got a part number for you, but I found one you can take a look at here on ebay. Cost is quite reasonable at $48. All you need do now is find somewhere you could install it; that might be the tricky bit on a dakdak...
Fred

Post by Fred »

"dakdak" spot the ozzy! My aunt uses that term because two of her kids migrated over there at some point years ago :-)

gwurr3, air cooled FTW. Someone's gotta do it. Or I will in a year or so :-p

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

nock wrote: Image

This how the 911 guys do it. the Bocsh coolant temp sensor is flat on the bottom. The bug motors have rather large rocker boxes, so most M$ed bugs just drill and tap a hole in the side of the rocker box to measure oil temp in the head. I'm told this works well. I'm not so sure a motorcycle would have room for that. The world is wide open in terms of M$ using different sensors. Pretty much anything you can find at a wrecking yard or online will be able to work with it.

The other thing that is sometimes done is to simply screw a intake air temp sensor in the ducting on an air cooled motor. I don't like this because on cold days it would never get out of enrichment.

We ended up ditching the air temp sensor for two thermocouple style aircraft CHT probes, they are very much like an EGT probe with a washer on the end. This worked well once we placed them away from the exhaust ports. Warmup time was about the same as a water cooled motor. You may not want to go this route because you have to add the EGT card, and do some hex editing to make it all work. If i had known about the head oil temp sensor method i would have gone that route because thermistor type sensors are much simpler to use.
Some grammar fixes, otherwise verbatim.

Fred.
Attachments
Cached image.
Cached image.