User Configurations and Equipment - COMMENTS

For people running FreeEMS to discuss it and ask any questions about using and adjusting it.
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

User Configurations and Equipment - COMMENTS

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Comments about user builds, software, and equipment choices go here.

Original story: User Configurations and Equipment.

-Jeff
Last edited by ToxicGumbo on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fred

Re: User Configurations and Equipment - COMMENTS

Post by Fred »

Nice idea! You need to split the serial out from the computers (as it's independent of the computers) and possibly include it with the hw as some will have a direct USB interface. So for yours there should be a separate list of two usb/serial adapters. Am I exempt from posting my stuff? :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Another thing that these need to have in them is last edited date, the forum can take care of it, but the forum can't know if you fixed a spelling mistake or brought the whole thing up to date. Thus I think it should be in the post body too. Prominently, at the top of the post, somewhere, "Last updated: XXth Month Year" my 3rd and 4th cents :-)
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Fred wrote:You need to split the serial out from the computers (as it's independent of the computers) and possibly include it with the hw as some will have a direct USB interface. So for yours there should be a separate list of two usb/serial adapters.
"Serial" was grouped since a few of us are still using PCs with on-board serial (ie. not independent of the computer), however that's fairly moot and I see your point. USB-to-Serial adapters are the expected norm for modern computers and it makes more sense to know what people have available than if any of their listed computers happens to be one with on-board serial.

Changed "Board:" category to "Hardware:", made the former a child to the latter, and moved serial in there as "USB-to-Serial adapter(s):"
Fred wrote:Am I exempt from posting my stuff? :-)
I wouldn't expect you to represent your ever-changing software builds, though It wouldn't hurt to have an idea of what type of OSes and hardware you (the Grand Poobah) is tooling around with. Your call. The original thread exists for 3 primary reasons:
  1. To become quickly informed of others' setups if they're struggling with a problem
  2. For devs to peer in and see if people are staying current, lapsing, or if someone can be cherrypicked for a project
  3. To promote discussion about tools/hardware in use
Regarding #3, I've bought a few items that others use solely based off chitchat. If someone's come across issues surrounding those items or is considering buying a product being used, it might lead to good discussion or spawn separate threads for review/usage.

-Jeff
Fred

Post by Fred »

ToxicGumbo wrote:I wouldn't expect you to represent your ever-changing software builds
I intend to, right here: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1639
ToxicGumbo wrote:It wouldn't hurt to have an idea of what type of OSes and hardware you (the Grand Poobah) is tooling around with. Your call.
Fair enough, I'll be post number two, just as soon as you and I get yours looking 110% :-)