Introductions!

For people running FreeEMS to discuss it and ask any questions about using and adjusting it.
Vik' the bike
TO92 - Vaguely active

Re: Introductions!

Post by Vik' the bike »

Thanks for the bike!

For the packaging, I think it won't be that tricky, as there is room on the bike under the rear fiber monocoque, or even behind the front fairing.
And I'm able to make fiber brackets and aluminium housings easily.
The only tricky point for me is the pcb size. I'm not familiar at all with routing and etching, so I have to stay with existing material, but I saw that Jaguar boards will soon be made in 0.7alpha version, maybe a good solution as it's a single board with Ampseals directly soldered on pcb.
I will open a topic in the right section as soon as the project begins.

Not sure the Volvo is a good candidate right now, as it's daily used, and mechanical diesel injection (D24T engine). But in the future why not... the plan would be to find a B230 engine to make the swap, and then maybe convert it to lpg with programmable EFI. But that's far in the projects queue.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome to the site, Vik'! :-)

Start a thread on your bike, post some pictures, and a description of the sensors on it, especially the crank/cam RPM/position sensors.

Your English is fine! Very good, even :-) Especially for a Frenchman.

I have some infrastructure suitable to bike transmissions and shifting on a branch somewhere that I'd like to publish at some point when it's more finished. Perhaps some of it can be useful for you, too.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Vik' the bike
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by Vik' the bike »

Thank you Fred!

I will start a thread on the bike as soon as possible.
holysmokes
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by holysmokes »

HI Everyone My name is Scott. I became interested in EMS in a round about way, I was The sales mgr for Sprintex in America for the Jeep line and of course tuning the ECU of a Chrylser product was problematic. Regardless, through my time with them I became more an more fascinated with adjusting the tuning myself and resolved to get into it. I was looking at all of the solutions out there from MoteC to Megasquirt when I ran across your site. I love the DIY aspect from start to finish although just playing with the allowed variables would be far easier I don't think it will be as satisfying.

I plan on starting with one of 2 honda engines; either a 350CC mc engine from a mid seventies XL or a twin cylinder engine from a 90's vintage lawn mower (probably start with the mower since it has electric start). If I can master that I would like to address a chevy V8 in a Short bed P/u i have. the ultimate goal however is either a Northstar engine I have or I might get a BMW 850 to screw up.

Reading the CV's of all you people is very intimidating however I see such huge potential I can only think this project of yours is going to be VERY successful. Please don't get too sarcastic with me as I try to learn.

Thanks.

Ps Holymsokes is because of my home made BBQ sauce...it was the only handle I could think of. LOL
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome holysmokes, when do I get to try your secret sauce? :-D

Wise move on non-kickstart engines, we have a bit of work to do to make kick start manageable.

See you around! :-)
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

This is my new favorite introduction. Glad to have you around and can't wait to quote this intro years from now when you're deep into the FreeEMS lifestyle.

Perhaps you can blend your love for BBQ and EFI and make the first outdoor cooker with throttle response:

-Jeff
Fred

Post by Fred »

If you ran it on ethanol and used olive oil for lubrication, and the exhaust for heating, you'd be onto a winner. I should do this.
holysmokes
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by holysmokes »

Re inventing the Car-B-Q... I love it. We can run a line from the tank for driver refreshment, use the radiator to slow cook the ribs and integrate an absorption chiller to make ice cream. All while 4 wheeling! We might need a larger processor to make it work though.
joey120373
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by joey120373 »

hello all.

My name is Joe, I am a ex-mechanic and now an electronics tech.

I am just starting this journey, still waiting on some hardware to arrive, and leaning i will need to put together some kind of dedicated laptop as well to get the ball rolling.

up till today had one project for the Free EMS, a 1000cc KTM motorcycle. its a 2 cyl with with some rather unique requirements. if memory serves me it has just a crank sensor with 24 - 1 teeth, individual throttle bodies and coil on plug.

However, today i picked up a very nice 1971 ford F250, V8. It might be a little easier to work with. The trigger wheel can be whatever i decide to mount to the crank, and i can either run a distributor or DIS or Coil near plug.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Joe, I believe I said this before, but welcome again! :-D

KTM is a bike I studied in Spain and it would be quite a challenging bike to run indeed. An old school low-specific-power V8 with missing tooth crank wheel, staggered multi-shot batch injection and wasted spark would be a nice easy entry :-)

Let's continue these discussions in another thread, though.

Fred.