Introductions!

For people running FreeEMS to discuss it and ask any questions about using and adjusting it.
Fred

Re: Introductions!

Post by Fred »

Gidday Victor,

Build environments are a pain right now. Blame my poor (overly generous) people judgment for that. Though we're getting close to fixing that situation. I've been working on it tonight, in fact. Despite work towards making that easy, I am hoping to get to point where people can simply download a built S19 and configure it. Not there yet, though.

Browsing the code in a decent IDE (such as eclipse CDT) is good idea. Some of it is pretty ugly, other parts are pretty good. The stuff on GitHub is a bit dated, but work has been going steadily into producing something solidly better.

The hardware confusion is common: There is no official hardware. Maybe one day there will be, but for now it's a selection of projects of various calibers. The most useful of them, and the most correct, but not necessarily the lowest effort, nor highest long-term reliability, is Andy's Jaguar board. It's a fair bit of labour and the through-hole bits are upright in nature, so it takes a bit of care. It also doesn't have a connector and thus needs fly wires to your connector and some sort of case solution depending on your target.

Anyway, this isn't the place for in depth technical answers, so: Welcome to the site! Kick off another thread in the right place when you feel like it :-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
peterpiper
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by peterpiper »

Hi, my name is Peter. I am very interested in this project. I can not help with code but maybe the electronics part. Although I am just a hobbyist at that. Working on cars comes easy to me though, including automatic transmissions. As well as machine work. Looking forward to making an older engine running on multiport fuel injection. One thing that has me puzzled in what I need to download in order to load firmware onto the board. I'm guessing this is for Linux for which I do have a machine set up with. Where do I look for instructions or help. Thank you Peter
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome to the site, Peter! :-)

There are a number of pieces of software that can do that job, however only mine works easily on Windows and is 100% reliable/robust and fast. Mine's not free. Don't worry too much about this. If you have an Ubuntu, Mint, or Debian machine setup we can get you loading with free software that's pretty much as good as my non-free software, but hard to make work on Windows.

Another option if you have a powerful Windows machine is using a Linux VM inside it and connecting the device through to the VM.

In answer to your last question, the best thing to do is put up a users ride thread with details of your engine and desired plan, and let us discuss that with you. You'll quickly get a feel for how things fit together.
amatt
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by amatt »

Hi. I'am Amatt Malaysia. Got successful with MS2, Rusefi, Speeduino. I got my spare ms2 daughter card, planning to run it with Freems2 firmware. As long got someone guide me, I'am sure it will success.

Thanks

Amatt
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hi Amatt, that's quite the variety of ECUs you've got there! :-D

I'm not sure that the FreeMS2 firmware was ever completed enough to be useful, but it certainly could be pushed in that direction if you can code and your heart desires.
amatt
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by amatt »

Hmm, sorry nothing I know at code/firmware side. Do you have planning todo tuning Freeems other than Emstudio/MTX? Tunerstudio would be great.

Amatt.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Tunerstudio might be great, but it doesn't support the superior communication protocol that we use to avoid corrupt data destroying your engine, so it's extremely unlikely to happen.

With respect MTX, it's pretty much dead, which is a shame. Cool tool back in its day.
With respect EMStudio, we have a patched version that's working well enough for us.

Not ideal, but gets us by and keeps us away from worse firmware with higher chance of engine damage.
amatt
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by amatt »

I learn using Ubuntu 14.04, and try to install Emstudio. I not understand at this comman "Not currently necessary: ./checkout.sh origin/unstable" and this"cd core # yuck".

I prefer Emstudio running first, then I will go for firmware.

Thanks.

Amatt
Fred

Post by Fred »

Not sure which repo you're looking at. We're using a patched/fixed version of EMStudio. All GitHub ones are broken and/or incompatible.

However:

1) the checkout script was probably pulling a plugin in and choosing a specific branch of both the app and plugin - not required for our version
2) the "cd core == yuck" cd core ; ./emstudio is still necessary, and is horrible - it cannot be run with ./core/emstudio - it uses the working directory to do things and doesn't look for the location of the binary to search for things, so it doesn't work right run from just anywhere, which is annoying and poor quality

Hope that helps.
amatt
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by amatt »

I got it from here:- https://github.com/fredcooke/emstudio

Ok, for Freems2 do I need to use Usbdm to program M$2 daughter board? Or just go to Ruzki board (if I can get it) and use Freeems vanilla?