Introductions!

For people running FreeEMS to discuss it and ask any questions about using and adjusting it.
Fred

Re: Introductions!

Post by Fred »

FreeEMS will be your ECU. RasberryPi will make an OK datalogger/telemetrics/bodycontrol box.

Start by talking about your engine and setup requirements in a new thread, somewhere.

Welcome to the site! :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
dR.eXntriK
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by dR.eXntriK »

Thanks Fred!! I am glad that I found your site!

I am still planning on starting a project and I want to do some literature review before I get into buying, so I cant give you details about engine and stuff just yet. But I will surely put it up as I get into actual work.

Well this is a n00b question please enlighten me. :mrgreen:

1.) Can I use FreeEMS software on RasPi hardware (To use RasPi as a ECU/EMS)? (If yes, can I do it out-of-the box or should I modify both software and hardware?)

2.) You said RasPi would be my datalogger/telemetrics/bodycontrol box. So basically I can hook up the RasPi to a computer and take readings right?

3.) If I build some thing like a piggy back ECU using Raspberry Pi, can I use it to modify and tune the actual ECU?
Fred

Post by Fred »

You're welcome! :-)

1) No, RPi sucks for real time things.
2) You'd hook the rpi to the freeems, record data to an sd card, then view/review it later on a PC
3) I don't understand.

Fred.
dR.eXntriK
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by dR.eXntriK »

Ok,

1.) Since RasPi sucks for real time monitoring, can I make use of other open source hardware like audrino, beagel board etc? Can I make use of atmega?
2.) Is there a way in which i can get data off freeems in real time? Something like hooking up the hardware to a laptop via USB and reading it or mapping.

EDIT: Merge posts...

And hey Fred! My respects to you. You have managed to keep this site alive all these years, reding and approving each and every post. Hats off to this ADMIN people!

A.) Is it possible, for me to add a couple of sensors to an old school engine and control a few things by using a ECU?
B.) What hardware do you recommend for FreeEMS?
Last edited by Fred on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merge posts...
Fred

Post by Fred »

dR.eXntriK wrote:1.) Since RasPi sucks for real time monitoring, can I make use of other open source hardware like audrino, beagel board etc? Can I make use of atmega?
No, I said it sucks for real-time work, which is a specific thing CPUs can/can't do. Lots of open source hw is sucky for engine control, and great for random tinkering.
dR.eXntriK wrote:2.) Is there a way in which i can get data off freeems in real time? Something like hooking up the hardware to a laptop via USB and reading it or mapping.
Yes, this is normal for any ECU, almost, FreeEMS included.
dR.eXntriK wrote:And hey Fred! My respects to you. You have managed to keep this site alive all these years, reding and approving each and every post. Hats off to this ADMIN people!
Thanks, but I don't approve every post. I pre-approve users when there is no doubt of their intentions and behaviour, and when I have time.
dR.eXntriK wrote:A.) Is it possible, for me to add a couple of sensors to an old school engine and control a few things by using a ECU?
Yes.
dR.eXntriK wrote:B.) What hardware do you recommend for FreeEMS?
Jaguar.
KaxLon
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by KaxLon »

Hi my name is Kim also go by the name KaxLon. I live in Sweden, europe. 40 years old this coming december.
I drive a 1991 years Mitsubishi Galant VR-4. Test all my code on my car first before letting anyone else blow stuff up.
I'm a real DIY'er and a open source activist.

My main work today i do on the Mitsubishi DSM and GVR4 ECU's. I have written a speed density software for it dubbed Swede Density by the testers and users. The development is semi-open since we have had problems in the past with a guy claiming other coders works as his own. So i have not yet released the full source code for it.
But it's a free to use, free to mod software.
The software is cleaned out of all the old MAF, barometer, and EGR temperature code. So we now have 50+ free registers and a few interrupts compared to the old way of modding that code which had a max of 4-5 free registers.
Besides that i have re-written the serial comm for it so now i can get 3000+ samples/second compared to the stock 50 samples/second.

Besides assembler I also write code in Processing, Arduino, and Android. They are Java based languages as most of you know. I like to use Processing for now since it allows me to work with visual GUI's and rapid development.
Since the DSM ECU is pretty slow when it comes to the diagnostics serial line i am using both PC and Arduinos as stand-alone dataloggers. My SD card stand-alone logger is the first one i have ever heard of running logging without a laptop, PC, or Palmpilot on the DSM ECU. It also has a LCD display or a 7" LCD TV to output to.

One of my other projects is a auto-tuner (i know that's a false term but it's easier to use) program that runs on the laptop and maps in the VE map in the speed density code in real-time based on the WBo2 feedback.
It works pretty good and i can even go WOT with it and it maps in those cells. This was unheard of before i made it for the DSM ECU. So it really makes the adjusting the VE map alot easier for beginners.

Really looking forward to get my hands dirty with the FreeEMS stuff!

That's what i do, and who i am. :)
.. KiM H .. Galant VR-4 1991. GCC Spec.
- My Website - My Videos -
Fred

Post by Fred »

Hello and welcome!

Which part of Swededensityland are you from, exactly? :-)

autocal, or in full, auto calibration, is equally easy, and entirely accurate ;-)
KaxLon
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by KaxLon »

I live a town called Alingsås. It's about 50 km north of Gothenburg where i originate from. :)

Yeah i think i need to start using the correct term. AutoCal it is. :D
.. KiM H .. Galant VR-4 1991. GCC Spec.
- My Website - My Videos -
Vik' the bike
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by Vik' the bike »

Hi all,

My name is Thomas, but everybody call me Vik'.

I live in the french country side with my wife and my two sons, am 29 years old.
I'm employed as an engineer in a small company, working in theaters and operas in France, Switzerland, Belgium, Saudi Arabia. My work consists in programming hard real time PLCs (x86 / VxWorks) for motion control and safety, both using real time ethernet as communication protocol. Other than that, I also work on a thin client application, using Qt framework, running on embedded computers (non-real time side), to allow theater machinists to control/monitor/sequence their hoists the easy way.
And when I've got time for it, I race a Bimota SB6-R motorcycle.
This is the thing that brings me here.
It's a 1995 italian bike, powered by a water cooled Suzuki GSXR 1100 engine, making around 160bhp for 188kg (-> 414lbs). Mine is a bit tuned, and lightened. On french tracks, it's an amazing toy, essentialy used by me for endurance racing, but I also use it for short hill climb (here in France, it's about 2 to 4 kilometers long). And every winter I put it back into a street legal config.
It's running on carbs, and stock electronic ignition which is based only on RPM, and I'm tired of tuning the carbs each time the climate changes, backing ignition advance when I know I have bad fuel...
I already have a PIC32 that logs (rpm, tps, 4 AFR, knock and lap times) to an SDCard, so that tuning is a bit easier, but I still need to strip all the bike to access to carbs.

I see several options for the ECU, Free EMS being (I hope) one of them.
I think (tell me if I'm wrong) a thing like Microsquirt would be sufficient as a start point, but I would like to implement uncommon functionalities like traction control, anti-wheeling, power-shift with different timing for up/down on each gear, and maybe embedded datalogging (SD/CF Card or USB stick). For that purpose, an evolutive and open source project sounds god to me.
Another option would be to use a "motorcycle aimed" race ECU that allready does everything, but it's way more expensive and less interesting IMO.

I hope my english isn't too horrible... to apologize for that, here is a photo of my bike during last winter, in its road configuration:

And I hope, many other projects, since I have several other vehicules (Volvo 740, Yamaha 500 XT, Voxan 1000 CafeRacer, ...) that could be good candidates to programmable EFI.
sim
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by sim »

Wow! Nice bike!

Riding in the snow is a good time.

My Volvo 240 is FreeEMS'd and Fred ran a 740 also. Your Volvo
might be a good test mule for FreeEMS. The bike should be doable
also, but packaging will be more of a challenge.

Go for it!
<@TekniQue> but in the end, it's code that makes a computer useful