Introductions!

For people running FreeEMS to discuss it and ask any questions about using and adjusting it.
pishta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

hello

Post by pishta »

My name is Steve and I live in Southern California; you know beaches, babes and expensive cars, right? Ha, thats a cruel stereotype! I wish...anyway. I might have the second oldest car to be free-ems'd and probably the oldest motor: 1965 Plymouth Barracuda with a 67 Slant six motor adapted to mpfi using a 1960 head that I bunged for efi. THe runners are 4 inches long in the head itself so i decided to bung it rather than the runners of the intake as they would be blind to the intake valve anyway. Now they spray literally on top of the valve face. I have a working MS2 ready to installed but after hearing the hit and miss trials of MS and all the useless variables involved for my app, this looked to be a solid viable option, as well as having a friendlier (Fred excluded..ha, kidding) forum. Im a telephone repairman by trade, been building and fixing cars since i could not afford a mechanic..day one! Efi is voodoo to me, i bought a carb'd 82 mazda pickup when my 96 plymouth breeze just quit on me on the road one day and i had no idea where to start troubleshooting ( crank position sensor harness fried, then cam sensor went out a week later) so this will be my introduction into efi at the component level. Itll also have ford edis-6 ignition and a supra turbocharger feeding a custom intake of my design. Incorporating electrical EMT runners and a old V8 valve cover for the plenum. Im diy all the way.
Fred

Re: Introductions!

Post by Fred »

LOL @ my exclusion :-) Only if you don't adhere to this: http://team.freeems.org/join/

<3 DIY to the heart :-)

Welcome along, 27 posts later.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ToxicGumbo
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by ToxicGumbo »

This is wonderful introduction, Steve. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on your 'Cuda with FreeEMS.

-Jeff
nicholasjanssen
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by nicholasjanssen »

I am nicholas janssen..from usa..

I am converting my 1986 ford f-150 from feedback carburated to diy-efi, using the 1987-- 4.9liter efi manifold.
I am also documenting this build as best I can with pictures to make a book/website/resume out of it.
I plan to use the ta card and my own addon boards to drive the injectors and read the signals from the throttle, (to be installed map) ( to be installed wideband sensor) and hopefully the existing eec -iv distributor ( it has a PIP sensor already i believe)

I want to complete this fast and easy(within 2 weeks)! I hope to have enough skill to accomplish both, fast and easy.
I will make sure I save every question I have so it can be included in a FAQ list..
Attachments
2013_march_zoo_goose_SANY0541.JPG
spring-2013--alpha-SANY0604.JPG
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome! :-)

Two weeks is pretty optimistic, especially for a TA DIY build! I hope you succeed, though. I won't be around much to help out, but hopefully others are.

Make sure you read this: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2327
nicholasjanssen
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by nicholasjanssen »

Fred wrote:Welcome! :-)

Two weeks is pretty optimistic, especially for a TA DIY build! I hope you succeed, though. I won't be around much to help out, but hopefully others are.

Make sure you read this: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2327
I wont be able to finish it in 2 weeks as planned. I will finish it. After spending quite a bit of time researching exactly my strategy..

I will try and copy as much of the schematics from the jaguar build as possible. It might take time, it might be difficult but I will not give up until I complete the project :P
Eastends
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Eastends »

Hi, my name is Jesse i live in Montreal Quebec Canada. Joined this site because i am interested in anything that has an engine. right now i have a kawasaki zx9 (electronic ignition but carburetor fed ) that i would like to eventually turbo charge. a 2000 grand Cherokee with a 4.7 v8. and a various small one cyl engines.

My goal is to develop a understanding of tuning engines with a stand alone efi system. since most of my vehicles are my daliy drivers i would actually buy a working engine from the local junk yard mount it in a stand and have it as a test mule.

Eventually i would like to make this system reliable from all junk yard parts like injectors and all various sensors so any engine can be made running with parts that can be found on the cheap.
My ultimate goal well so far is to obtain a bmw v8 mb62b44 and have that running on full sequential injection.

i look forward to being part of this community.

Jesse
Impregacy
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by Impregacy »

Hello,

My name is Mervin been around for a long time, but feel like I can post here now. Just ordered some Jaguars, built a USBDM, and have most of the BOM. Here is my user ride: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2393

Planning to attach a 36-1 wheel to the crank pulley and get a sync--very ambitious for me.

My past project was a Subaru Impreza with a Subaru Legacy 2.2 turbo motor swap and MS2. It ran well for about 40,000 miles then fell apart. I love vehicles. Worked at GM for a summer, worked for an OEM exhasut supplier for a while, now I'm a mechanical engineer working as a cryogenic engineer at a nuclear physics laboratory.

Trying to learn electronics and embedded C. To me that is the final frontier, it seems to take a different kind of intellegence to picture what all those tiny electrons are doing all the time.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome guys, good to see this thread getting some solid use :-)
dR.eXntriK
TO92 - Vaguely active

Re: So I want to start developing for Linux [help!]

Post by dR.eXntriK »

This is just wonderful. Its exactly what I was looking for. I am an engineering student and I am about to start a project to enter a competition. The objective is to build a "formula" car prototype and luckily or unluckily they allow engine electronics to be used.
Now I want to use FreeEMS + Raspberry pi to create a "ECU" but I dont know much about either of them.
My question is
1.) How do I start off? i.e. how do I combine Raspi and FreeEMS to build a ECU for an engine?
I would love it if you could walk me through the entire process, more importantly the basics