Introductions!

For people running FreeEMS to discuss it and ask any questions about using and adjusting it.
bäda
TO220 - Visibile

Re: Introductions!

Post by bäda »

I don't expect the engine to be running within 6 month.

And as far as i've seen on youtube, there already some engines which run quite nicely on freeEMS. ;)
So I'm still confident, that it will satisfy my needs by the time I'll actually can use it.
Fred

Post by Fred »

This is true, it's suitable for a techy type to use on their own car right now. It's not suitable for customer cars or noobs, yet, though. :-) It also has some tech weaknesses that mean it's bad for certain applications. All things are scheduled for correction, though.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
ivan141
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ivan141 »

In blatant disregard of Fred's rules in the first post I'm just going to introduce myself even though I am not (yet)
running or attempting to run FreeEMS.

My name is Ivan, I live in the Netherlands, and I am a car nut (why is this starting to feel like the AA meetings we see in american movies?).
Anyway, I'm an electrical engineer (bachelor of electronic engineering) who ended up making a living as an automation programmer after a
short stint of working in 2 PCB assembly factories.

I have a reasonably thorough knowledge of all things car, have been forced to since buying a toyota AE86 10 years ago which I am restoring
to this day.
As far as electronics go I like to tinker with microcontrollers from time to time but have never committed much time to it. Lately I have started
a little project for an over the top dashboard backlighting system for which I have made my own PCB's, and I have caught the bug completely.
I am still at an Arduino-level of skills here, so I am hoping to expand my knowledge further.

If I manage to bring my own project to a satisfying finish, I would like my next project to be an EMS system, most likely based off the excellent
looking ravAGE, which is already catering to my trusty little hamsters (4age's).

FWIW, I have 2 ae86's, one which will be running a 4age, the other an F20C, a volvo 360 with a B21ET turbo engine, none of which runs right now.
I wont be bothering people untill I get well and truly started.
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome! :-) I've been to your part of the Netherlands and know a few car nuts around there. They were nice enough to take me to th' 'ring a couple of times :-)

You're in good company 4age wise :-)

Fred.
Dan
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by Dan »

Welcome Ivan!

I too have been bitten by the 4AGE bug - viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1480

Start up a rides thread please! I would love to see those AE86's.

My brother has an AE86 (high comp, soon to be e85 drinking, revving beast) that he is almost ready to start (about 8 weeks away) and he also just ordered one of Toyota's new AE86's as well.

Glad to see another 4age fanatic join the ranks here!

:-)
DaWaN
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by DaWaN »

Hi Ivan,

Did you drive a Daihatsu Charade in the past ?
I vaguely remember buying parts from you for my old Daihatsu Charade :)
ivan141
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by ivan141 »

Small world! You'd be the guy that bought the super-pro bushings then? The only other thing i sold off that fast little heap of misery
was the interior.
Anyway, thanks for the welcome.
FABRICA MI DIEM, PVNC!
TheRevva
DIP8 - Involved

Post by TheRevva »

Hi all,
It's taken me a couple of days to 'navigate' myself to this thread. (Far too much of that other 'interesting' stuff on this site has kept me rather 'distracted').
I'm probably breaking Fred's rules from his initial post in this thread, but I _THINK_ I have a defense... (Honest Judge, the post just jumped out in front of me when I swerved to miss that low flying pig. Almost spilled my beer in the process too... Ooops).
The name's Trev (and I'm NO relation to anyone from the 'Dagg' family in case any other Kiwis were wondering),
My initial 'interest' in EFI was recently inspired by an upcoming project (EFI conversion of an old Mustang).
In looking at a whole bunch of available systems, I came across both MS and FreeEMS.
Over the past couple days, I've come to the hard realisation that NEITHER are currently suited to the project (albeit for VERY different reasons!), so I'm grabbing a commercial unit for it.

However... (And this is why I feel 'partially justified' in posting to this thread).
I'm a HUGE supporter of FOSS and have a FAIR background in the I.T. and Electronics fields. (One by profession, and the other by hobby).
I have a few 'surplus' vehicles sitting around home that I think are 'prime test candidates' for the system. They're already EFI, 6 cylinder, sequential fuel and wasted spark. A potential issue is that I understand that the existing transmission is closely tied into the OEM ECU. (But I like a good challenge... LOL)
Since they also have native ABS and Cruise Control, it might also be fun to see what can be done in that area!
I also have occasional access to some dynos through another 'hobby' (The drag strip is just down the road figuratively speaking).

My 'skills' with a soldering iron are, at best, kinda average, and I'm not (currently) planning on building/buying a reflow oven for SMD (but I didn't say NEVER...).
I've hand soldered low pin count SSOP packages enough times to feel confident. I'd probably be more apprehensive with 112pin LQFP packages though...
I've got a couple of old 40MHz bandwidth dual channel 'scopes here that might help me (I must upgrade to a decent DSO someday... As soon as the wallet can afford it)

I'd like to think that I can make SOME level of contribution to this project?
Before I decide exactly what degree (and area) I'll immerse myself, I need to read and digest a few thousand more posts right here on this forum.

P.S.
You're all MAD... Stark raving BONKERS!!!
I feel 'at home' already!!!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome along! :-)
Over the past couple days, I've come to the hard realisation that NEITHER are currently suited to the project (albeit for VERY different reasons!), so I'm grabbing a commercial unit for it.
Ain't that the truth!

Fred.
Arttu
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Arttu »

Hi all,

My name is Arttu and I live in Finland. My main interests (relating to this forum) are electronics and motorcycles. Currently I have two bikes in my household that are both converted to EFI by using MS with homebrew electronics. I have been using MS almost from it's beginning and generally I have been quite happy with it. However, since I like to design and build electronics hardware the MS licensing policy kind of annoys me.

I have been checking this site every now and then during last few years and recently I have started to think it's maybe a good time to jump in. So I would like to give the FreeEMS a try and maybe even provide some contribution for the project. Unfortunately time for hobby projects tends to be very limited resource but hopefully I can find a large enough bit of it for the FreeEMS. Idea of completely open source engine management sounds really fascinating to me.