Introductions!

For people running FreeEMS to discuss it and ask any questions about using and adjusting it.
Fred

Re: Introductions!

Post by Fred »

ToxicGumbo wrote:something that sounded suspiciously open source (kudos to the use of "Free" in "FreeEMS").
Thank Alex for the name, though he's long gone and...
Other open source initiatives turned out to be abandoned, misleading, or tailored for a very few specific vehicle platforms.
...one of the people behind one of the abandoned projects out there, though there was never code, and the website vanished and I doubt you can find evidence of it :-) Re misleading, I've tried pretty hard to not be, though it's pretty easy to fall into the trap of being misleading. I've done no large scale evangelism on the web for more than 2 years, however the time for more of that is coming soon :-) The tailored to a very few issue is an issue with damn near everything except MegaSquirt and FreeEMS too, btw. I've made massive efforts to ensure it can do damn near anything. A simpler single platform only system could have been completed literally years ago.

Thanks for the intro! Great to have you around, you've made a great contribution already, quietly, and on the side, so thanks for that!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
mikey
TO220 - Visibile

Post by mikey »

Hi guys,

I've owned my 1972 240z for around 2 years and have made some fairly major suspension mods. Next up is my engine swap.

I'm pretty close to getting a VQ35DE from an '04 350z. This brings some challenges; the stock ecu has the Nissan anti theft system (NATS) and it's fly by wire. It's possible to get around NATS by reflashing the ECU but that's expensive and if I went DIYEFI I'd learn something and be able to tune the engine as well.

Going DIYEFI, still means I have to get VVT and possibly fly-by-wire working.

I'm a programmer who's contributed to opensource projects bebore. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and have experience with embedded systems in vehicles having made my own digital ignition system with programable advance to replace the points setup on my 1956 NSU scooter based on a PIC 8 bit micro. And some other small embedded stuff in previous jobs.

So I'll continue to read up on DIYEFI to ensure it's right for me. Any feedback about what I'm trying to do is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Mikey.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Sweet, you can get it running without VVT and with a normal throttle for the time being, if you want. Then add those things as you progress :-)
gixxer-harry
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by gixxer-harry »

Hello mikey

Nice car
If i had that car and i wanted an engine swap than i would go for the biggest V8 i could find and shoehorn that in
I think there is room for a big block under the hood
But i am old skool (or just old) and i love big v8's
And we all know that a big block twin turbo nitrous fed engine has almost enough power :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Not if you wanted to track it ever again you wouldn't! :-/ Low weight in the front = king.
gixxer-harry
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by gixxer-harry »

Okay we compromise
A rover v8,leight and those engines can make serious power
Fred

Post by Fred »

I'll raise you a Lexus V8 with two turbos. Still, I fully understand keeping it in the family and the Nissan V8 are wide angle, unlike the Toyota and therefore impossible to fit anywhere. The VQ are nice engines :-)
mikey
TO220 - Visibile

Post by mikey »

Yeah, a V8 was never really considered. If I wanted massive power I probably would've gone RB26DETT but I don't want turbos. The VQ is very light, has 300hp stock and fits entirely behind the strut towers. And the car will only weight 1000kg. I'd probably be not be any faster around a track with a V8 even if I could get it to handle.

I have thought about it and discussed it with a lot of peeps. And I've found someone with the engine I want. I'll probably buy it by Monday!
bäda
TO220 - Visibile

Post by bäda »

Hey gentlemen,

my name is Peter, I'm from Germany and together with my brother I'm currently in the process of building a turbocharged Volkswagen 16V engine.
I planned to run this engine with megasquirt and already purchased a very downsized german hardware unit.
But during my recent internship at Audi Sport I've got some experience with ECU hardware design and I decided to rather not use this unit and layout my own ms hardware instead.
But now I came across freeEMS and I absolutely want to give your awesome work a try!
The engine still needs some serious work, so I'm very confident that freeEMS will be ready to use without restriction by the time the engine build will be finished.

I'm a fresh bachelor of electrical engineering graduate with quite some experience in embedded coding and I will start my masters degree in automotive mechatronics by the beginning of october.
I hope I can contribute in some way to this very interesting project. I also have a spare engine around which I could probably use for bench testing.

Greetings from Germany and keep up the good work,

Peter
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome along, Peter!

What sort of time frame is your engine going to be finished in? The time frame for "without restriction" is quite a bit longer than "it's a good system, use it". That's just the way it rolls, there are only 24 hours in a day, and I already use 20 of them.

Fred.