Introductions!

For people running FreeEMS to discuss it and ask any questions about using and adjusting it.
Fred

Introductions!

Post by Fred »

Use this thread to tell us about you, and the basics of your setup (or link to a users rides or FreeEMS vehicles thread).

I'm Fred, I wrote most of the firmware and started this site and the FreeEMS project! I'm currently going to be lonely in here because this thread is ONLY for FreeEMS users and developers and other switched on people that can offer useful information to FreeEMS users. Currently I can ask myself things and answer in a beautiful monologue :-)

If you're not running or trying to run FreeEMS on your vehicle/engine then don't post here, please.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Introductions!

Post by DeuceEFI »

Hi, my name is Andy and I have been following Fred and everyone else here at diyefi.org for quite a while now and have decided to implement FreeEMS on my replica 1932 Ford 5 window coupe. My background is a Jack-of-all-trades, starting with a degree in Electronics Engineering, now working as a Network Engineer.

The 3.1L engine is from a 1997 Oldsmobile Cierra FWD which I have rotated 90* to be longitudinal connected to a 1989 Camaro 700r4 automatic. My goal is to have the engine running on FreeEMS before the end of the year, right now I am sourcing parts to build the first FreeEMS based prototype trying to find free samples whenever possible. I will keep you posted as I find sources.

Once I update my website I will post a link to the Deuce/FreeEMS build so you can follow the progress.

Andy
Fred

Post by Fred »

Awesome! Welcome along and, please, complain liberally about anything, especially documentation! :-)
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Welcome along, and I look forward to your web page. What's the general plan for now? TA card, spin a board, ect? I suspect that will be part of the web page, but figured I'd inquire.
DeuceEFI

Post by DeuceEFI »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have the TA card and have also built up a separate test Freescale CPU on a SchmartBoard (easy to solder the 112 pin CPU) with a MAX232a serial convertor chip so that I can flash the cpu via serial like on the TA card. I also have a TBDML so I can program raw Freescale cpu's.

Right now, I'm following the DFH Hardware development thread so I can get up to speed without asking a bunch of questions right off the bat...

My plan was originally to make separate stackable I/O boards, but if the DFH board design is still valid, I could focus on contributing to that project instead (completing the traces to the cpu pins). I'm open to ideas of why others gave up on the stackable I/O boards and went with a single board such as the DFH or Puma... Plus I don't have much room in the coupe so I'm trying to design small size wise, but still keep it DIY, hence using the TA card to keep from having to solder the Freescale CPU...

I have found a free source of the TA style FM connectors locally here in the USA to ease the cost of developement. Not to mention that Freescale has a samples program also... :-)

Here's the link I promised, I'm still working on updating the site: http://www.pcindiana.com/project/index.php

I'm still getting newer pictures uploaded in my spare time... I have a 3 hour round trip commute each day by car, plus I'm studying for IT certifications.

Fred, maybe you could move this to a more appropriate thread for me (I'm not sure where to continue this topic...) thanks!
Fred

Post by Fred »

DeuceEFI wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome!
You're most welcome, and sorry for the slow reply, but I wanted to consider your post a bit more - there were some parts I wasn't sure how to answer...
I have the TA card and have also built up a separate test Freescale CPU on a SchmartBoard (easy to solder the 112 pin CPU) with a MAX232a serial convertor chip so that I can flash the cpu via serial like on the TA card. I also have a TBDML so I can program raw Freescale cpu's.
Cool! :-)
Right now, I'm following the DFH Hardware development thread so I can get up to speed without asking a bunch of questions right off the bat...
Probably should have said this sooner, but consult the RavAGE schematics for the most up to date and accurate representation of how your hardware needs to look to work with standard firmware. Jared updated DFH recently, so it should be pretty close, and it will likely mostly work, but might not be optimal in some areas.
My plan was originally to make separate stackable I/O boards, but if the DFH board design is still valid, I could focus on contributing to that project instead (completing the traces to the cpu pins).
That's up to you :-) There is no harm in doing your own thing and unique solutions are fun! Contributing to making DFH compliant is also worthwhile, though. Your call.
I'm open to ideas of why others gave up on the stackable I/O boards and went with a single board such as the DFH or Puma...
I don't think people gave up on it, it was just that Marcos forced Puma into circulation sooner against my wishes :-) I still have a few ideas for stackable stuff that I'd like to see done and available to DIYers for general use :-)
Plus I don't have much room in the coupe so I'm trying to design small size wise, but still keep it DIY, hence using the TA card to keep from having to solder the Freescale CPU...
I'm certain that this can be done, and it sounds like doing your own thing is a better option for you than DFH due to the space constraints.
Fred, maybe you could move this to a more appropriate thread for me (I'm not sure where to continue this topic...) thanks!
How about leaving it here and starting a new thread on the project? You can copy/paste material out of the above post to get things started if you want. Then just edit a link into the above post when it's done.

Thanks for your interest :-)

Fred.
gixxer-harry
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by gixxer-harry »

Hello
I am Harry from Holland and i like to efi/turbo my GSXR 1100 motorcycle and i have some quiestions (please point me in the right derection)
I am/was thinking about ms but after i found this site i think ms isnt the best option for me
Can i use your efi susthem for a motorcycle and how far are you whit this systhem?
As for sensors,coils and my options are open i do have trothlebody's and injectors from a GSXR 600 and i want to use those
I am a noop and i must say i dont know a thing about electronics
I do know a thing or two about the mechanical site of engines and i do know how they work and what it needs to performe good
If this post is in the wrong section than please move/remove it (cant find my way around the site yet)
Love the work you lot are doing even tho i dont understand most of it
Have a nice day
ps sorry for my bad writing skills,my Dutch is a litle better ;-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Welcome Harry! :-)

I've spent some time in Nederland, where abouts exactly? If you don't mind me asking :-) I have some friends in Rijswijk among other places.
gixxer-harry wrote:I am/was thinking about ms but after i found this site i think ms isnt the best option for me
It still might be, though that does put a smile on my face! :-)
Can i use your efi susthem for a motorcycle and how far are you whit this systhem?
Yes, still early days, but usable depending on what type of trigger setup you have on the bike. If you go for it, don't expect it to run particularly well straight away, as we haven't added any features suitable for ITB use yet. They will definitely be getting added and if you go ahead and set something up, I'll assist you as much as I can. What it comes down to is how much time you have to experiment and test, and how much time you have before you want the bike up and running in a nice and refined way. If either of those questions are answered with "not much" then this may be a bad option for you at the moment. What type of trigger pattern is there on the crank shaft and/or cam shaft? How high does the bike rev? If I've not put you off with this information and these questions, perhaps post some pics and more info in a thread in user rides and answer this and continue the discussion there?
Love the work you lot are doing even tho i dont understand most of it
Thanks! BTW, I'm not so far from you, living in Spain right now with my wife.
ps sorry for my bad writing skills,my Dutch is a litle better ;-)
Way better than your average Spaniard (or my Spanish for that matter!), I assure you :-)

Fred.
gixxer-harry
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by gixxer-harry »

Thx for the awnsers
Okay i start a threat in user rides and ad some more info about what i can and cant do whit the bike and why i want to change from carbs to EFI
ToxicGumbo

Post by ToxicGumbo »

Hello, all. My name's Jeff. I grew up an hour north of New Orleans in the US, hence the "ToxicGumbo" moniker (which is what news anchors called the soupy floods brought about by hurricane Katrina). As of summer '13 I moved to Kansas and there's not much to do out here. So...

I came across FreeEMS while investigating how to reverse GMLAN and the Freescale-based Hitachi ECU used with recent GM engines. More specifically, I found MegaTunix while looking for a native Linux tuning app and its website claimed MegaTunix could tune something that sounded suspiciously open source (kudos to the use of "Free" in "FreeEMS"). Other open source initiatives turned out to be abandoned, misleading, or tailored for a very few specific vehicle platforms. The expensive and exclusiveness of the mainstream tuning scene makes my stomach churn.

In 2008 I bought a base model Pontiac Solstice, caught the bug and started modding it, and shortly went from having a few hand tools to several rolling cabinets and an engine hoist in the living room. Later I bought a used (2003) base model Tacoma who's transmission spent a year in pieces in my kitchen, but is now properly riced up--redneck style.

Unlike others on here, my cars came with EFI. I'm no fan of proprietary blackboxes, especially when they profile and adapt to your driving habits, allow remote vehicle shutdown, have crippling rev limiters, limit your sensor use, fight against intentional subsystem changes, and are expensive to interface with. Swapping the factory ECUs for something custom (and open) would be lovely. Seeing engines of the future use FreeEMS as an industry accepted base-and-modular EMS would be even better.

Aside from the above, I got my degree in painting and drawing (after falling asleep in computer science classes and not getting any sleep from electrical engineering classes), am a lapsed ham (KC5QBT), and have been working as a sysadmin for over 15 years.

-Jeff

Edit: Updated location and vehicle info.
Last edited by ToxicGumbo on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.