View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Introductions! 

Gidday Victor,

Build environments are a pain right now. Blame my poor (overly generous) people judgment for that. Though we're getting close to fixing that situation. I've been working on it tonight, in fact. Despite work towards making that easy, I am hoping to get to point where people can simply download a built S19 and configure it. Not there yet, though.

Browsing the code in a decent IDE (such as eclipse CDT) is good idea. Some of it is pretty ugly, other parts are pretty good. The stuff on GitHub is a bit dated, but work has been going steadily into producing something solidly better.

The hardware confusion is common: There is no official hardware. Maybe one day there will be, but for now it's a selection of projects of various calibers. The most useful of them, and the most correct, but not necessarily the lowest effort, nor highest long-term reliability, is Andy's Jaguar board. It's a fair bit of labour and the through-hole bits are upright in nature, so it takes a bit of care. It also doesn't have a connector and thus needs fly wires to your connector and some sort of case solution depending on your target.

Anyway, this isn't the place for in depth technical answers, so: Welcome to the site! Kick off another thread in the right place when you feel like it :-)

n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:40 pm
Profile WWW
TO92 - Vaguely active

Hi, my name is Peter. I am very interested in this project. I can not help with code but maybe the electronics part. Although I am just a hobbyist at that. Working on cars comes easy to me though, including automatic transmissions. As well as machine work. Looking forward to making an older engine running on multiport fuel injection. One thing that has me puzzled in what I need to download in order to load firmware onto the board. I'm guessing this is for Linux for which I do have a machine set up with. Where do I look for instructions or help. Thank you Peter

Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Welcome to the site, Peter! :-)

There are a number of pieces of software that can do that job, however only mine works easily on Windows and is 100% reliable/robust and fast. Mine's not free. Don't worry too much about this. If you have an Ubuntu, Mint, or Debian machine setup we can get you loading with free software that's pretty much as good as my non-free software, but hard to make work on Windows.

Another option if you have a powerful Windows machine is using a Linux VM inside it and connecting the device through to the VM.

In answer to your last question, the best thing to do is put up a users ride thread with details of your engine and desired plan, and let us discuss that with you. You'll quickly get a feel for how things fit together.

n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11