Puma board for FreeEMS

Marcos' unmaintained, but still in-use, Puma for FreeEMS circuit board/hardware design!
jurpo
TO220 - Visibile

Re: Puma board for FreeEMS

Post by jurpo »

With "smart" injector driver I mean a driver which monitors the current and uses PWM control method to limit the peak and hold currents, just like TLE6270 does the job. In fact techniques which are used for GDI would be very beneficial for non-direct injectors, too:
  • Larger operating voltage (80Vdc) for peak current driver results faster and more precise injector opening time --> less variation between injectors' opening times
  • Once peak current is achieved, hold current can be created from 12Vdc resulting lower PWM fequency (than 80Vdc would result)
  • When injector shall be closed, raising the clamp voltage results faster zero-current decay. Usually the designs I've seen (e.g. MS) have used 36V clamp voltage which is still better than 12V, but higher the better. This why TLE6270 uses 87V clamp voltage.
  • Usually injectors or other solenoids are happy with 4:1 current ratio for peak/hold values, while most aftermarket injector controllers have user-selectable options such as 2A/0.5A and 4A/1A.
TLE6270 would be superior component otherwise (IMO even price of 10USD/8EUR would be affordable!) but its minimum order quantity is 800 pcs. This could be helped out by group buy but still it requires some hard cash. I haven't asked this directly from Infineon but I can use my "official" contacs to find out price and availability in small quantities - I just need to create a fake customer project in order to get that info. (Not a big thing, we do it every now and then... :P)

Seems that there would be some common interest at least with this injector controller. I think I could share the CDI controller design (to be used in FreeEMS HW designs) but first it needs to be tested out with few prototypes. Alternatively CDI controller could be provided as an external ignition driver, too, if someone wishes to use traditional methods.

If there are more interested people regarding CDI and/or injector driver maybe we could even create own (scrumm) workshops - as well as dedicated discussion threads - from these activities?

Fred: I was positively surprised that FreeEMS development uses agile methods. That is impressive for this kind of "unorganized" organisations because even my employer doesn't use it although our company calls themselves engineering/consultant company, while employing over 1000 designers in several countries. Very impressive, indeed!
Fred

Post by Fred »

jurpo wrote:Fred: I was positively surprised that FreeEMS development uses agile methods. That is impressive for this kind of "unorganized" organisations because even my employer doesn't use it although our company calls themselves engineering/consultant company, while employing over 1000 designers in several countries. Very impressive, indeed!
It's not as agile as it could be, but I try my best to push everyone into best practices in that respect. I'm working towards making it more agile by reducing my load and distributing potential work better. Right now I'm flat out with a lot of stuff, including my girl, but not in a good way. Hopefully the project, as a group, can be a shining example of agile awesomeness at some point, though it's not there yet. We're all doing our best. Thanks for the compliment! :-)

BTW, there is a thread on doing an smarter pwm injector controller with a cheap common cpu. Someone can link it for you, I don't have time.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Reverse voltage of the indicator diodes appears to be 5V. Perhaps it should have a schottky in series to help prevent reverse currents, or perhaps the LED should have a higher reverse potential before conducting.

PUMA may be pushing the Vr a bit I found this note in the datasheet
3)Driving the LED in reverse direction is suitable for short term application.
I don't know how long short term is. I'm guessing it's OK unless it overheats.
Fred

Post by Fred »

+1

Additionally:

viewtopic.php?f=53&p=16441#p16441

Do you have anything on Puma for MODA and MODB? If not, they should be grounded, preferably through resistors, unsure what value is acceptable, but 1k seems like a good start, even if it will preclude real use.
Fred

Post by Fred »

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=57&p=16474#p16474 - hardware pin use guide mostly in place! :-)
Fred

Post by Fred »

jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Fred

Post by Fred »

Marcos, can you adjust the annotations for Spin 2 to match the compliance requirements as outlined near the end of the following post, please:

viewtopic.php?p=17767#p17767

Some of them probably already match, but others are totally wrong, weird, annoying.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1502 < wanted, a puma, built.
JUANJ
TO92 - Vaguely active

Post by JUANJ »

hola Marcos disculpa por escribir en español pero se me hace mas facil, he seguido tu proyecto desde el comienzo en este foro y estoy interezado en adquirir la PCB para iniciar el ensamblaje, soy de Venezuela y tengo algo de experiencia en MS actualmente tengo un Corsa con Ms, estoy muy interesado, saludos y un gran abrazo, te felicito!!

in english:
Hi Marcos apology for writing in Spanish but I find it easier, I have followed your project from the beginning in this forum and I'm interezado in acquiring the PCB to start the assembly, I'm from Venezuela and I have some experience in MS now I have a Corsa with Ms, I am very interested, congratulations!