BOM straightening

Marcos' unmaintained, but still in-use, Puma for FreeEMS circuit board/hardware design!
Fred

Re: BOM straightening

Post by Fred »

AbeFM wrote:As far as getting more people doing software development.... Who's going to work on a system when they don't have one to test? How do you spot your corner cases if you don't have someone running it on the street, reporting what's wrong?
Wait, I never said I wanted hackers helping on the firmware! I don't. Not right now, that's for sure. Some time later, OK, yes, but definitely not now. I'm not accepting patches from *anyone* right now. I froze the code several weeks ago with the exception of me doing work for people with units wired to cars. Off topic! :-p
In a way, this highlights the issues with a "universal" design - several have been built, but we can't just use each other's parts lists... because we're doing different things?
One has been built to the point of being used. I have it. Two people built it. You've seen it. No parts list exists besides a full one, even though it wasn't fully populated, and a bunch of hacks that I published, to an unknown base. Here in lies the problem. Marcos never created a BOM that only included the components that are actually needed/wanted and not the harmful ones. That's what we're aiming to correct here.
Whatever it is... If I can get something put together and working, I'll use it. Otherwise, I'll have to start up with a whole other new ECU for my daily, get buried in that, and not have the time to invest in this project.
Get in IRC and get sifting through schematics and layouts and lists and let's get this thing done, then! Anything other than action is just an excuse, really :-p You've already got a known setup for your daily as is, anyway. I'll believe the VVT stuff once the 6 speed is installed ;-)
Since the board's made, it's silly not to get this finished.
Agreed! 37 of them are out there. If we made it easier, some may end up being put together and used, and that would be good for everyone.
You might be able to write a lot of cool code for a ENIAC, but you're not going to because you've nothing to test it on - and even if you had functioning code you can't DO anything with it.
Again, right now, "pesky hackers" are the last thing I need. I'm more than capable of writing all the code required.
And lastly, anything which becomes obvious through the use of the PUMA will absolutely guide the development of the Cheetah.
It's already pretty thoroughly understood. It's run three engines successfully, with hw development on it in between, and software development on it constantly, and one failed attempt (Josh) which taught me about a hw problem along with forcing some minor tweaks to the code. It's mostly about getting testers, not about testing Spin 1, as that is already understood, at least by me. Just not documented.
Not getting anything out of a prototype is a waste.
Absolutely! Puma Spin1 has not been totally wasted, just 90% :-)

Seriously, get involved with the team in a live way, weekly, or better, daily, get into kicad and look at the lists and diagrams and drawings and so on, figure stuff out, bit by bit and let's get this show on the road. This is an area where you can genuinely help, and in a big way. This is your bag, baby. I try, but I can't do all the work, at least, not in a suitable time frame :-) Find that motivation and do some boring annoying but necessary work! Or just design a new one and have that printed, you make it sound easy! ;-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

viewtopic.php?p=17121#p17121

Info for BOM added to instructions.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Preston's Excel BOM attempt:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=1294