Why The Latest Changes To Spin 2 Worry Me

Marcos' unmaintained, but still in-use, Puma for FreeEMS circuit board/hardware design!
Fred

Why The Latest Changes To Spin 2 Worry Me

Post by Fred »

EDIT: The result of my concerns about the Puma project direction, Cheetah: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1225

I've had a number of people ask me why I'm unhappy with the direction spin 2 has taken recently. I decided that rather than staying quiet and passive about it, and typing my reasons repeatedly and thereby wearing out my wrists, that I would dump the latest QA session into a thread for others to view if they should so choose.

Please note, this thread consists entirely of my opinion. Opinion is what it is, it's not arguable. I think a red car looks good because it's red and you don't, get over it.
(18:38:56) fredcooke: 1) added extra switching regulator without removing others, simply to reduce heat into the others, but adding board realestate and adding switching noise, probably, from a design that is highly noise critical.
(18:40:30) fredcooke: 2) moving all fuel to220 devices to SMD devices, moving resistive p&h control to PWM (noisy) p&h control in the name of vibration resistance and meeting some arbitrary test standards mil spec or similar
(18:41:05) fredcooke: 1 is silly because there is very little heat anyway, a better solution would be to ditch the fancy smd regulator and move it onto the heatsink bus as a to220 (with appropriate leg layout)
(18:41:42) fredcooke: this would get heat out of the board, improve the mechanical mounting of the board, in unison with the other devices, reduce the number of different parts, etc.
(18:41:56) fredcooke: reality is, the regulator is luke warm while driving @ 14.4v as is
(18:42:31) fredcooke: 2 contradicts 1 because it moves heat off the bus bars/sinks into the board
(18:42:44) fredcooke: both are bad because of switching noise issues/potential issues.
(18:42:53) fredcooke: to220 fear is paranoia at best
(18:43:15) fredcooke: toyota use it, nissan, honda, mazda, bmw, you name it, use it, it's on cars doing 500,000km+ reliably
So, there you have it. Please, don't try to argue this, it's an opinion, not fact, not golden, just an opinion, leave it as such. If your opinions differ, put them somewhere else, noting the title of this thread. Ignoring my wishes, and the title of this thread and posting in an off topic way, note, keyword in title "me", will earn you deleted posts. I don't have time for dealing with bullshit right now, so action will be swift and unforgiving. Pay attention to this paragraph.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: Why The Latest Changes To Spin 2 Worry Me

Post by Fred »

Locked. My clearly stated wishes were not respected. I don't have time to deal with such behaviour any more than I have already today. Thus I've eliminated the opportunity to disrespect my wishes a second time and saved myself time in the future. This thread was, and is, for informative purposes only. If any of you posted a thread and asked politely not to post in it, I would respect that too. Do the same for me, please.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!