Spin 1 Documentation Ideas

Marcos' unmaintained, but still in-use, Puma for FreeEMS circuit board/hardware design!
Fred

Spin 1 Documentation Ideas

Post by Fred »

From IRC:

[15:26] <puma_numero_uno> and integrate it <my header png> with your docs somehow
[15:27] <puma_numero_uno> we need to build up GOOD spin 1 docs as A people will need them B if you dont you'll have to answer more questions C its good practice for spin2 D it looks more professional etc
[15:28] <puma_numero_uno> as in "for all boards mod these 6 things one by one, here are the instructions with pics"
[15:28] <puma_numero_uno> and then 6 sections
[15:28] <puma_numero_uno> and then "for people that want to use ignitors do thius"
[15:28] <puma_numero_uno> and "for people that want low z do this"
[15:28] <puma_numero_uno> and "for poeole that wnat high z do this"
[15:31] <puma_numero_uno> oh, another thing for hte docs: explicitly state that values for the thermistor bias resistors should be set to match your on car sensor type
[15:32] <puma_numero_uno> and pics of where they are on the board, with description "R45 next to large C8 and between cpu and Header" or similar (that is bogus, but...)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: Spin 1 Documentation Ideas

Post by Fred »

OK, I'll reuse this.

Marcos has put up a draft of the assembly manual, which is a great start. I had a lot of feedback for him, so I'll link his file here and share the feedback too so others can comment on it.

File: https://github.com/nitrousnrg/puma/raw/ ... lation.pdf

Updated versions will be available from here eventually: http://puma.freeems.org/docs/user_manuals.html

Feedback: (marcos, i edited this a little bit in places, diff with email to make it clear where, but worth re reading)
Where is the source file? If it is an ODT, the please provide the source, both in git and on the site. Let's get the ODT in there with the pdf, and then I could work on it and send it back to you ;-)

As for the contents of the PDF, we need to add some items. I understand that it's a draft, so you may be aware of some of these, but:

there are some items missing from your don't install category:

* all of the thermistor pull resistors, that is WRONG. they should be omitted.
* one resistor and one zener per RPM input, those are bad and pull down WAY too close to the cpu threshold voltage and are pointless anyway. bridge second resistor, ditch zener.
* it's not yet clear whether those should be omitted from or changed for the GPIO stuff. we should test that soon.

Things missing in general:

* along with the generated pcb trace pics, we should have photos, maybe before and after, and on some stuff, different angles. I have taken heaps, so I can provide many of them.
* we need a section for using the XOR to drive ignitors - i can help
* we need a section for using ignition drivers on the puma board (ONLY if the ground and power setup is correctly done, if not, it's XOR to external off board ignitors ONLY, no on board drivers)
* we need to add a "for high z use" section.
* we need to state that you only need as many fuel channels installed as you need... not all of them always.
* we need to advise to use specific values of thermistor bias resistors depending upon the sensor used (code can be configured for anything) as this makes it more accurate
* the battery v sense stuff can be different too, also configurable,but recommend what I specified. - maybe just omit this... no point unless its for a 24v application
* we should advise that a switch be attached to the bootloader pins for frequent loads this early in dev, optional, though
* we should explicitly state not to use the power distribution pads
* we should note which grounds are for what, dirty, clean, how about red for the two clean ones and blue for the others? or something like that?
* you should include my pin ID picture
* and another for the can and spi pins telling which cpu pins those are
* we should say to populate the electro locations with tants, 10 and/or 22uf
* we should point out that the MAP can be external or internal, but not both
* and that the two maps with tabs cant fit
* and how to get the LEDs working with the XOR chip and the high z drivers (fp and power ones work as is)
* we have to say to put a tant on the reset pins of the BDM after burning it (no need for bdm after that), we should say you got it working with as little as X uf and that i used 10uf and had no issues with MANY uses :-)
* we should specify that 12/5 v square RPM inputs should NOT have the ground side grounded.

the FTDI fix should be strongly recommended for ALL users, not just macs, its fucking annoying on linux, probably fucking annoying on windows (come number may change just like ttyUSBX number might change on linux) whereas on the mac, the issue is one of crashing and not device change (id remains the same) and the common issue across all 3: device vanishing and app disconnecting etc. The device should persist and the data should stop flowing...

Other than ALL of that, it's a good start :-) Some of your english and layout sucks, but let's work on the content first.
You should put more links about BDM options, the one you have is bad/wrong/out of date anyway, put the one that you can get on TA site, and the source project and the P&E link(s).

Otherwise looks good. We've gotta get the rest of that stuff in and correct and crystal clear. I haven't looked at the bom yet, but I assume you've started on that too. We'll get there soon. And when we do, lots of people will have them built all of a sudden, yay.
Any feedback on the feedback, people?

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

TonyS and JaredH, your posts were OFF topic and have been removed to the "deleted" section. The content was not relevant to the topic of this thread which is HOW to do the documentation that IS required for the boards that DO exist with THIRTY people all over the world, NOT, whether or not to do it. If you have some constructive input for this thread, post again, by all means, if it's anything like the last posts, they will be removed. Don't take it personally.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Marcos, this is the image you were asking after, I dug up the URL for Spudmn, so thought I'd link here for you. When you get a chance we should chat/skype and iron out these docs a bit more.

http://stuff.fredcooke.com/PumaSpin1HeaderPinOut.png
nitrousnrg
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by nitrousnrg »

Thanks man!
Marcos
Fred

Post by Fred »

Don't forget to use this too :-)

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii15 ... iring5.png

And to explain that spin1 only has two grounds and two powers, not more, because it doesn't have sleep functionality yet.

We should do another diagram in a similar style that shows the sensor wiring. It should be separate from the power diagram. Maybe I can do that at some stage. Or maybe I can find someone good at art to do it :-)

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Jared asked me to provide a structure overview, good idea, so here is my first crack at it:
  • Title: "Puma for FreeEMS<br/>Assembly, configuration, modification and installation manual."
  • Date and Version: "10th of March 2012, revision 14"
  • Overview "This document is to show how to choose components to order, properly build and connect your Spin 1 board to a vehicle."
  • All sections after this line need photos and pcb screenies.
  • Board modifications required before assembly "cut this, join that, drill here, etc, usb mods, cpu power mods, led traces, inj driver traces, etc"
  • Optional sub-circuit details (egt, stepper driver, X injectors, X spare fets, AAP, etc)
  • Choices of components and setups (USB connector style, no ignition or XOR polarity, high z or low z, or no injection, thermistor bias values, etc)
  • Things to leave off, always (digit stuff between max and cpu, thermistor pull resistors, "ign fets" (useless), split power supply, etc)
  • Thing to add on (pull resistors for hall inputs, jumpers for usb chip power, links for making LEDs work, reset capacitor)
  • Overviews of each thing changed since board printing (ign, inj, power, reset, cpu, max, usb, etc etc)
That's my first cut, thoughts?

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Jared, I just reviewed your automated BOM and it's magic! Thank you so much for your work on that, I'm very impressed. Once it's finished it will be hugely useful for anyone ordering, and can be forward ported to spin 2 as well. Hooray.

Fred.
Preston
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by Preston »

Hey guys,
Any idea when this will be done? I'll like to figure out and place a custom order for parts ASAP and start testing this unit. Love ya work :D

Preston.
Fred

Post by Fred »

A project was started some time ago to document the Spin 1 board and make it possible for people to order parts and build them. I did some work on it today and thought I'd put some notes about this project in this thread.

https://github.com/diyefi/Puma-HowTo

The HTML is temporarily online here and updated randomly, so just treat it as a "how does it look" example.

http://stuff.fredcooke.com/spin1howto/spin1.html

Hopefully my latest work can be integrated into the BOM files of various types (database and spreadsheets).

Fred.