72 degree V-twin

General English language SECU-3 discussions here. Обсуждение общих вопросов SECU-3 на английском.

Moderator: STC

AncientGeek
QFP80 - Contributor

72 degree V-twin

Post by AncientGeek »

How would secu-3 handle a 72 degree v-twin with a cam sensor? It is vital to avoid wasted spark with these odd-degree motors, as users of other systems have found, it burns holes in pistons. Is there a possibility of adjusting advance separately for each cylinder? Or of using a fixed difference between the coil firing that is not a multiple of 90 degrees?
STC
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: 72 degree V-twin

Post by STC »

Actually, I don't know technical details about of working of 72 degree v-twin engines. SECU-3 firmware can be changed to support most types of engines and some additional features can be added, but it needs some development time and resources. I will tell you how current implementation works and you will make conclusions by yourself. So, current firmware implementation:
- Supports up to 8 cylinders in full sequential mode (CKP sensor + cam sensor required);
- Supports up to 8 cylinders in semi sequential mode (CKP sensor required);
- Supports engines with even number of cylinders (e.g. 1,3,5);
- Does NOT support adjusting of advance angle and knock retarding separately for each cylinder;
- Fixed difference between coil firings can be not a multiple of 90, but it has to be the same for all cylinders;
- Advance angle can vary during runtime in range: -15...60 degrees (crankshaft);
- Allows you to shift firing in all cylinders (simultaneously) relatively to TDC.

One more question. Is your engine 4 stroke?
Author of the SECU-3 project. SECU-3 Engine control unit / Ignition control system
SECU-3.org (Русский)
SECU-3.org (English)
SECU-3 Club ВКонтакте
SECU-3 EMS Project Facebook
AncientGeek
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by AncientGeek »

Sounds feasible then.. its a 500cc four stroke (1980 Moto Morini). I'm going to open up the cam sensor and try to figure out how it works. It was one of the first bikes with a semi-electronic ignition. Currently coil power is provided by magneto, that would have to change.
STC
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by STC »

2 cylinders, 4 stroke - OK. Which maximum RPM do you want? Note that current implementation of firmware limited to 12000...14000 min-1
I'm going to open up the cam sensor and try to figure out how it works
It will be interesting.
Author of the SECU-3 project. SECU-3 Engine control unit / Ignition control system
SECU-3.org (Русский)
SECU-3.org (English)
SECU-3 Club ВКонтакте
SECU-3 EMS Project Facebook
AncientGeek
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by AncientGeek »

This is old tech... 8000 rpm max.

Thanks for info... will report back soon.
AncientGeek
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by AncientGeek »

Seems all the work has been done for me. The pickup is magnetic, the advance is driven by a circuit in a transducer which contains a 6 volt coil. The advance curve is also documented. The trigger is at 1.35 volts.
Attachments
Scoped output from the 2 pickups
Scoped output from the 2 pickups
Output at 1500 rpm and 6000 rpm.
Output at 1500 rpm and 6000 rpm.
This is the pickup with the rotor.
This is the pickup with the rotor.