How are the Russian users finding the forum experience?

General English language SECU-3 discussions here. Обсуждение общих вопросов SECU-3 на английском.

Moderator: STC

Fred

How are the Russian users finding the forum experience?

Post by Fred »

STC, what is your gut feel about whether your users like using this forum more/less than the old setup? I'm just curious as to whether there is any way to make it better? Are there language packs that I could install for example? I want you guys to enjoy your time on here! :-)

Also, I note that "misc" thread is growing... nip it in the butt, will ya? Just post in it telling people to start whatever threads they need to. When you've done that, let me know and I can lock it.

Finally, I'm adding you to "core members" as you're one of the big boys IMO.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
STC
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: How are the Russian users finding the forum experience?

Post by STC »

There are no big complaints about new forum. Moreover, comparely to old forum this one has no advertisements.
There were only several complaints about email notifications, no more.
I've posted message with appeal to create separate threads, especially for separate designs (e.g. related to Daytime running lamp, alternative versions etc).

I think, currently functionality of forum is good enough. Maybe we need to to create separate thread to discuss required functionality?
Author of the SECU-3 project. SECU-3 Engine control unit / Ignition control system
SECU-3.org (Русский)
SECU-3.org (English)
SECU-3 Club ВКонтакте
SECU-3 EMS Project Facebook
STC
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by STC »

What about spell checking for Russian language? One user ask me about this (He is literate, he has just bad vision :-))
Author of the SECU-3 project. SECU-3 Engine control unit / Ignition control system
SECU-3.org (Русский)
SECU-3.org (English)
SECU-3 Club ВКонтакте
SECU-3 EMS Project Facebook
Fred

Post by Fred »

No ads, I don't even think about it, but other forums I'm on are horrible in that way, so I'm glad to hear that it's appreciated. You should tell your users about "adblock plus" you can get it for chrome and firefox and it makes browsing so much more pleasant AND faster.

Spell check is a client side function, he'll have to do that himself.

I'll have a look at installing a lang pack at some stage. I might put Spanish in too if its possible :-)

The email... so sorry...

Fred.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

One thing I've noticed was relative to Google translate. Google will allow you to list a root URL to translate, however it only allows forum.diyefi.com, not the Russian sub forum. This causes Google translate to attempt to translate the English pages as well as the Russian. Some way to have the Russian as it's own URL would be kind of handy for Google translate users. Not critical, but nice.
Fred

Post by Fred »

jharvey wrote:One thing I've noticed was relative to Google translate. Google will allow you to list a root URL to translate, however it only allows forum.diyefi.com, not the Russian sub forum. This causes Google translate to attempt to translate the English pages as well as the Russian. Some way to have the Russian as it's own URL would be kind of handy for Google translate users. Not critical, but nice.
Jared, firstly, what has this got to do with these guys having a good experience? Secondly, that's not even true! I regularly use it to translate the subforums. Chrome is even nicer as it translates the content for you using google translate api while maintaining your session and allowing you to reply.