DIS Coil Pack Ignitors

Free Open Source Hardware discussion forum. Post your Free Open Source hardware projects here!
longracing
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Re: DIS Coil Pack Ignitors

Post by longracing »

I asked about the 4-channel ignitors at the nearby japanese motor/car importers, the response I got was
"I don't know what that means"
Yes I did ask for the ignitors from certain models/makes and try to explain that it fires four COP, alas another dead end.

I am going to ring around a few Jap wreckers whilst developing my own ignitor. See which one pays off first.

Why is it that all the businesses around here only cater for the type off people that thing bolting on "shiny bits" counts as modifying a car? Even most of the performance places only deal in packages for certain late models, then they don't know what the modifications do or why they are done. (My apologies for the rant)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Yeah, it sure helps to be able to say "the ignition module for a 1998 mazda b2600i" or similar, ey :-)

Don't you have access to self help yards? That is where I get all my bits and pieces from, mostly. It gives you the chance to check out what is available from various cars before you buy, too. I can vouch for those pictured above, and the fact that they are easy to come by. Others can vouch for various others too. You should just go and find something that looks good and is easy to get and try it, perhaps. Developing your own just has to be a bad/expensive/fragile idea, doesn't it?

Rans are fine by me :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
longracing
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by longracing »

I had a play with the IGBTs an managed to get a few good sparks before burning it out. No current limiting and too much duration.

All the self-help yards are in the western suburbs, a bit of a hike unless you have a long shopping list.

The good news is that I finally found a wrecker not too far away that would help me. They had a couple of Subaru's but I wasn't sure where the ignitor was. I did manage to get one and the connectors from an RB25 (6-channel). I will search the manuals and forums but does anyone know if these use an inverted input or not?

I might still have a play with the four remaining IGBTs to make a Jacob's Ladder, electronic-ignition or something. After all isn't that what DIY is all about :geek:
I was even thinking of using a PIC10 or 12 uC to monitor the input duration and pull the IGBT gate to ground if it exceeded ~5mS. It could also benefit from a hardware current limiter.