Firmware corruption

Free Open Source Hardware discussion forum. Post your Free Open Source hardware projects here!
shameem
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Firmware corruption

Post by shameem »

I was reading over at msefi - http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32809

So how do stock systems avoid firmware corruption due to crazy power cycling? Do they have soft on/off method or does it have something to do with the constant 12v?
Fred

Re: Firmware corruption

Post by Fred »

That's strange, unless he had "AMC" on or something like that it shouldn't be possible to corrupt the flash memory. I guess a suitably bad power supply + alternator keeps producing power and battery is isolated could have forced damage by spiking somehow, but the chip is still behind the reg etc.

Anyway, check this out for a start : an3289
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
shameem
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by shameem »

It is strange and doesnt seem like a power issue - rather feels like "windows not shut down properly" kinda issue.......
Could there be similar consequences if the processor is powered down somehow "during" boot up -

Is it possible to make the processor do a check sum verification on boot and indicate if firmware is corrupted (like flashing led or fuel pump cycling or something)

The ideal would be to have another copy of firmware stashed away at some other memory location and load that copy in case checksum verification fails......
Fred

Post by Fred »

shameem wrote:Could there be similar consequences if the processor is powered down somehow "during" boot up -
Not unless it is currently writing to flash, which shouldn't happen when it's not being tuned.
Is it possible to make the processor do a check sum verification on boot and indicate if firmware is corrupted (like flashing led or fuel pump cycling or something)
Yes. I have a function header, but have not done anything with it yet. Likely it would only cover code and not tune though. Tune could be done with the external software though.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!