Help diagnosing EDIS-4 unit

Free Open Source Hardware discussion forum. Post your Free Open Source hardware projects here!
martinprice2004
TO220 - Visibile

Re: Help diagnosing EDIS-4 unit

Post by martinprice2004 »

No I meant narrow band as they are very cheap. However the Spartan sensor with the incorporated driver circuits does look quite good for the price and would give me much better resolution for tuning. All fuel injection before 1995 used narrow band sensors, so if I can get my 1934 design beetle up to 1995 emission standards I shall consider that a success.

We are getting ahead of ourselves though! I haven't got the EDIS working yet!

I have separated out the grounds from my setup and have also bought a duplicate of the parts I need. It would be nice to have a bench setup as well as one on the vehicle.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Narrow band sensors have never (successfully) been used to tune an engine, only for maintaining stoich for cat converters. They're essentially useless for anything other than that due to the way their curves change with temperature, and the shape of the curve in general. My advice is, do it by feel, or get a wideband, don't bother messing around with a pointless narrow band... ;-)
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
martinprice2004
TO220 - Visibile

I got the EDIS unit firing over the weekend. The VR sensor was wired incorrectly. I diagnosed the fault, by using the Audio .wav file (From the Heggs website) out of my PC directly into the EDIS unit. This works really well so I was confident it was the VR unit that was the error. I also modified the .wav file pitch using Audacity so I can check the EDIS at various RPM values on the bench. This is much easier and safer than setting up a rotating trigger wheel on the bench.

I do get a lot of interference from the plugs and on my PC this halts the mouse function (Others get keyboard problems). I rigged up some LED's which flash so I can run tests without firing the coil pack.

I have also begun work on programming the Arduino Nano to first recognise the RPM values from the PIP output. I hope to have this so it can report back to the host PC via serial data as a first step. The Arduino Nano only has 3 separate timers, so this may only be suitable for dizzy / map control. The Arduino Mega Has 6 which I may switch to if I go for fuel management.

....So far so good.
martinprice2004
TO220 - Visibile

I managed to get the engine working today in limp home mode. The firmware is up to a stage where I have a 2D map and PIP input and SAW output enabled. I am only using the map in 1D mode at the moment, but the Arduino is suffering terribly with interference as its in the open air near the coil pack. This is preventing full testing of the firmware. I am hoping an earthed enclosure box will go some way to preventing further problems. I am also using copper leads and don't want to switch to carbon/ fibreglass ones if I can help it as they are more difficult to make at home without an expensive crimping tool.

I had a tip off from a guy at work that early Ford Ka leads may work on my beetle setup without modification and would have suppression tuned to the coil pack.

It does seem to tick over much better with the EDIS unit compared to the 009 distributor.

A few more pictures here:-

http://www.heliumfrog.net63.net/bajabug ... atest.html
Fred

Post by Fred »

"I am also using copper leads and don't want to switch to carbon/ fibreglass ones if I can help it as they are more difficult to make at home without an expensive crimping tool."

:-o With all due respect, are you fucking serious? You need to read this: http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

Get some proper leads, man! Oh, I see, you're looking for alternatives, goooood.

Amazing what a solid ignition will do for an engine! :-)

When you say 2D, do you mean "just RPM" ? You're going to want a MAP input too...

Fred.
martinprice2004
TO220 - Visibile

Due to the offensive nature and "if you are not doing it my way you are doing it wrong" attitude from the moderator, I will no longer be contributing to this website.

I did suspect that it was just a vehicle for Fred to tell the world all about himself and it appears my initial thoughts were correct. The lack of posts from other users just support this hypothesis.

As a word of advice, You should really establish how experienced the poster is and also read the posts fully before putting your thoughts in text. (I am actually a powertrain designer)

I will move on to a more respectful community. You will receive no further communication.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Wow! I never said "if you're not doing it my way, you're doing it wrong", rather I linked you to magnecore's website, which is one of the most reputable plug-wire manufacturers on the planet, and pointed out that they think you're doing it wrong. I also wrote the first half that post thinking you were going to continue trying to do it wrong, as evidenced by "Oh, I see, you're looking for alternatives, goooood." and then noticed that you were indeed planning to do the sensible thing.

With respect to the level of experience evidenced in this power-train designer's posts, they differ from what the reality might look like if it were true. Or perhaps I misunderstand what a power-train designer does? Design driveshafts in CAD, perhaps? Who knows! Best of luck with your project, whether you post here, or not, as the case seems to be! :-)

Fred.