debian for dummies...

A place to discuss software and code that isn't automotive related. Free and open source preferred but not compulsory.
pishta
LQFP112 - Up with the play

debian for dummies...

Post by pishta »

Like me!

Fred, can you give us mind numb noobs a primmer on debian? In your helpful github scripts you use debian and a majority of us dont ( dont use linux or use windows) so i was wondering if you could maybe tell us MnN's what to do on a fresh debian install (your choice if distros) to get where we can follow your github scripts and other linux associated threads. I will nuke one of my windows laptops for a debian distro as i never had luck with the ubuntu dual partition grub install. Always asking me questions about where root was on what hd. Call me dumb but i tried going to ubuntu about 4 times and ended up using puppy linux as it was the only one to pick up my integrated wireless. Thanks for the read. Linux to me is like learning English: its freakin hard as there are so many 'dialects' and ways to say the same thing like using the first few letters of a command instead of entire word.
Fred

Re: debian for dummies...

Post by Fred »

You should be able to use Windows OK. If you can not, please do test the Windows stuff and help make it such that you CAN use it by reporting bugs.

If you want to use Linux, install 32 bit Debian or Ubuntu and get your hands dirty. It's not a requirement, though. 64 bit Linux isn't a good choice, we're aware of the issues there and they won't be solved soon, sadly.

If puppy is Debian-based, you can use that too. If you use a non-Debian-based distro, you can still have luck, but it's harder work.

I can not be your Linux tutor, though. That would be offensive to every other user and detract from their experiences. I nearly didn't reply to this at all. Don't be offended :-p
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
pishta

Post by pishta »

I dont expect to be hand held, just keep your linux scripts "useable" to us with little or no experience with linux, especially command line. Ie. if you say "mount this and put this driver in the etc/drivers folders and then parse this and that" just put it in command line like you would type it in as you have been. That should get me at least going. Ok, will be dabbling in Debian as needed. I dont know if Puppy was Debian, but it sure was light, snappy and functional. I think it was #2 on the best Linux distros by someones list. I think he liked MintyLinux the best.
BTW, this thread is open for any linux user to chime in on, not just $uperu$er Fred...see, a little linux humor there...Nerd OUT!
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Post by DeuceEFI »

pishta, see my guide at https://github.com/DeuceEFI/FreeEMS_Workstation_Setup as a place to start.
pishta

Post by pishta »

Damn bro, Where was this hiding? Just what i needed..now on to some penguin power!
Fred

Post by Fred »

There is also the quick start thing presto started, but it's not really usable/good yet. Would have been handy the other day for even me, just to save time.
pishta

Post by pishta »

The freescale CW_HC12 special.exe programs may not be available off Freescale.com, use this bittorrent to grab a mirrired copy. Use a torrent program like bittorrent or Vuze. ITs about 350MB so if you got dialup, set it before you go to bed.

http://burnbit.com/download/233769/CW_H ... PECIAL_exe
pishta

Post by pishta »

DeuceEFI wrote:pishta, see my guide at https://github.com/DeuceEFI/FreeEMS_Workstation_Setup as a place to start.

Andy, I used Debian 3.2 Gnome and I cant figure what your "qmake && make all" command does. It asks for the correct syntax after qmake (just gives options, no action) and when I type ./Freeems-Loader after that, it says directory not found. Im sure the glitch is from the kernal version Im using. The distro link you provided didnt have my wi-fi driver so I had to use a more recent distro with non-free drivers for intel pro wireless.
Chapter 6 of your excellent workstation setup may be specific to 2.7 as I cant find the Gnome menu item creator either and the loader procedure doesnt seem to work. Any way you can find the time to amend chapter 6 for the 3.2.41-2 i686?
Fred

Post by Fred »

That guide suffers from duplication of information. This is bad because the information it duplicated has changed. For each package, follow the instructions of that package from its readme. If that does not work, report the issue to the responsible dev. Sean's loader instructions are valid and correct AFAIK, however I've watched people not read them and have issues. The best approach for such sections of a guide should be something like "get the apps listed <here>" with a link to a central place that tells you what is currently required, and a comment saying to review each readme, or something to that effect. Excuse my incoherent ramblings, it's 2am here, and we just got back from a long FreeEMS-powered drive.