New Workstation Build For Winter

A place to discuss software and code that isn't automotive related. Free and open source preferred but not compulsory.
Fred

Re: New Workstation Build For Winter

Post by Fred »

Booted to rescue mode, decrypted the disk (keyboard worked fine) and did a bunch of updates, kernel, xserver-xorg HWE versions (16.04) and so forth and voila back to normal, but quiet and super fast. Can easily play 4k (11% CPU, <80C CPU temp) vs unable to play (100% CPU, 100C CPU temp) before and louder.

Happy as Larry.

Pretty amazing that you can take nearly 5 year old RAM sticks and 5 year old SSD and 5 year old OS and if I had had it up to date already it would have booted straight up as normal without a hitch! :-D Chances are unless something similarly unfortunate happens I'll get another 5 years out of this one, too.

RAM may be upgraded to 64g at some point, or maybe not. Disks may be upgraded to fresh latest models at some point, or maybe not. They're already fast so I don't need them faster. We'll see what I can wedge inside there to get myself in-NUC ZFS with 2-way SSD mirrored vdevs. Mu ha ha ha.

When I fill what I can fit in the case, then I'll build a new NAS serious style, but maybe full passive cooling so it's quiet. Until then, I'll drop upgrades/changes to this nuc into this thread as they happen.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: New Workstation Build For Winter

Post by Fred »

This new machine is epic (not epyc) - almost nothing I do phases it. The only time it got hot so far was trying to use flowblade (a python video editor, python is the second slowest language there is) to process high bit rate 4k footage, got to 80C and was about half as loud as the old one at the same temperature doing 25% as much work.

Upgraded to bionic 18.04 and all is well. 20.04 on a spare machine was a train wreck, though. No QT4 for EMStudio use and lxqt was totally broken. Afterward I found out that that's the expected outcome of an upgrade. Why the hell didn't they provide a provisional package to keep LXDE working for someone upgrading, then?? What utter BS. In any case, this thing is going great.

It's still not clear if I can get a SATA cable for the motherboard header, or not, but hopefully I can, because if I can, when I run out of space on the mirrored 4TB drive setup I'll be able to add an additional 8TB mirror to it and end up with 12 reliable TB available for media needs.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!