Fred builds his first PC

A place to discuss software and code that isn't automotive related. Free and open source preferred but not compulsory.
DeuceEFI
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Fred builds his first PC

Post by DeuceEFI »

The computer I designed the JAGuar boards on was a Atom powered 1.5GB RAM Acer One netbook running Debian 32-bit. Atom processors aren't useless, unless you are using some bloated operating system on it. Mine ran KiCAD just fine, I was even able to do 3D rendering of the board in KiCAD.

Just my $0.02...
Fred

Post by Fred »

I still have this, pretty funny reading the specs. Should chuck a small SSD in it, see if I can fit more RAM to it and give it a new lease on life :-D Poor little thing never got much use, basically brand new still.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

It doesn't say above, and I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure this is the board I got for it: Intel BOXD945GCLF2 https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... gclf2.html

If so, 2 gig RAM was already maxed out :-D I wonder if modern SATA SSDs are even compatible with the old original SATA standard.

Definitely the spiritual successor to the NUC :-)

Also the mediocre experience that lead me to buy pre-built NUCs for a premium instead of trying to cobble together something custom. Good learning experience even if I wasted my money on a machine I didn't end up using :-D Certainly it set the scene for more small machines over time.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!