Ben's messing aroung with FreeEMS-Tuner code

Aaron Barnes' wxPython based FreeEMS tuning tool. No longer maintained and out of date with the protocol requirements.
BenFenner
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Ben's messing aroung with FreeEMS-Tuner code

Post by BenFenner »

jharvey wrote:Ben some notes, headaches and computers are very common. Check that your screen is running higher than 60hz. Some of us are more picky. At a quick glance I can tell if a monitor is 60, 70, 75 or 80hz. So for me I need 85hz, min. LCD's and plasma don't have that kind of refresh rate problem.
Yah, I'm a 85 Hz man myself as well. That is, at home where I still run CRTs. Here in the office it's all LCD so no worries there as you said. One of the first things I did was change the resolution to make things bigger. I have terrific eye sight, but when things were getting blurry I thought maybe it was due to eye strain. I changed the resolution here at work and since then haven't had any problems with the blurry vision, but the headache is still there. I can only conclude the small text made things worse, but aren't the cause of the problem.

I'm just like the rest of you. I like to know how things work and am methodical with diagnosis of all kinds. I've managed to basically rule out anything environmental that could have caused this. It's not lack of sleep, or my new apartment, or my new hours at work (lack of sleep?), or my new office at work, or my new monitor placement at work, or the new compact florescent lights in my apartment, or the water. The wisdom teeth is the first thing that really makes any sense.

The main symptom is the headache. Eye strain and blurry vision were one of the symptoms at a time, but were short lived.
jharvey wrote:If you don't have glasses, you may want to get your eyes checked. Something as simple as that could resolve the issue.
I don't wear glasses, and have considered this. Last time I was checked I had 20/8* vision believe it or not. I can still see ridiculously small things at crazy distances very clearly. One of the first things I did were some impromptu tests with people in the office and friends. I still can out see all of them. =/
jharvey wrote:Any how, good luck with the head aches and thanks for the work.
Thanks for the help and concern. Don't worry about me. I'm sure I'll be fine and back in business in no time.

For what it's worth the headaches mostly go away with a single Excedrin Tension Headache (aspirin + caffeine). I've started taking them now that I feel I've found the solution and am actually going to do something about it. No need for the pain to kick me in the butt anymore. It's done its job.
I just hope I can limit the drug intake, as I'm not a fan of them (Fred already knows this). =]

*I can see at 20 feet what the average person needs to be 8 feet away from to see.
Last edited by BenFenner on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fred

Post by Fred »

BenFenner wrote:I just hope I can limit the drug intake, as I'm not a fan of them (Fred already knows this). =]
And approves and concurs. :-)
*I can see at 20 feet what the average person needs to be 8 feet away from to see.
I don't consider that I have any eyesight issues at all and never got anything but top marks in any tests, but if you stick my old man (60+) and me next to each other and say "read the name on that ship way the f*ck over there" he will be able to and I won't. On the other hand, I can see anything of the finest detail and he needs glasses to read. It's just a focal length thing. Another difference is that his night vision is a lot worse than mine. Actually, even my girl can't see as well in the dark as me, and she's younger.

Point being, perhaps you do need some focal length help for things up close? With your super long distance vision, it certainly sounds likely.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
BenFenner

Post by BenFenner »

I have an appointment for teeth cleaning and x-rays on January 13th, 10:30 am.
I'm hoping to get a referral for an oral surgeon and have these wisdom teeth out ASAP. I'll report back with news.

A new symptom emerged. I was tasting random chemical/metal tastes for a week or two. That has since gone away as well.
Last edited by BenFenner on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

Good luck dude!!
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
Fred

Post by Fred »

Weird! Ditto the good luck, we need you back and in good shape soon :-)
BenFenner

Post by BenFenner »

Got that referral to an oral surgeon and went in for a consultation yesterday. They took panoramic x-rays and gave me a date of Feb. 20th for the removal. I'll go under general anesthetic (wasn't my first choice) and be driven home by the girl friend.
On a side note I've been paying more attention to the way I sleep (it changed when my GF and I started living together) and I found I'd been crinking my neck upwards. I've tried to stop doing that and am now using a contoured pillow. I haven't had any real bad headaches in the last week or so and have been able to stop taking the Excedrin.

I'll be back with updates as they come. Might be well enough to code again soon but still might hold off until I finish the car and take a vacation from non-work work. ;)
Fred

Post by Fred »

BenFenner wrote:On a side note I've been paying more attention to the way I sleep (it changed when my GF and I started living together) and I found I'd been crinking my neck upwards.
Sure it wasn't banging your head against the wall constantly that did it?? ;-) (pun intended)

Fred.
BenFenner

Post by BenFenner »

The teeth came out on Friday and I was up and running around the same day. Everything is just fine so far.

I'm now 99.999% sure the headache was due to the sleeping position of my neck. I haven't had any trouble in a month or so and I've brought the monitor resolution back up at work with no issues.

I'm excited to get back into the python, but have some things to finish first. I recently finished the turbo install and am ironing out a VEMS issue and painting the exhaust before my first road course session in late March.

Basically I'm just waiting for life to slow down now so I can get back into the coding. I'll keep everyone posted and I'll check with Aaron to see what it'll take to get me up to speed once I'm ready.
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

Just say the word buddy :)
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
Fred

Post by Fred »

Great to hear Ben! :-)

There is plenty to do when you are ready. IE, after you post vids of that car ;-)

Fred.