Ben's messing aroung with FreeEMS-Tuner code

Aaron Barnes' wxPython based FreeEMS tuning tool. No longer maintained and out of date with the protocol requirements.
BenFenner
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Ben's messing aroung with FreeEMS-Tuner code

Post by BenFenner »

I forgot I had this thread. A blast from the past for sure. My headache is so long gone I almost forgot I had it.

Okay it looks like the last place I left off I was working on the car preparing for the 2009 SR20 National Convention. Well that came and went (and ruined my engine in the process). It took 7 months but the car is finally back up and working (for the most part) and I'm finally in a position where I can do some meaningful coding again.

If you want to see what happened with the car in the past 7 months (I think I was about the paint the exhaust) you can start from post #404 in my build thread. Fred asked for videos, and there's a few of the exhaust at the end of post #392 and an acceleration video in post #412.

I let Aaron know I was ready to code again and got myself bootstrapped again in his thread. It makes a lot more sense to continue with my comments and questions here. Since I'm having trouble finding anyone on Instant Messenger I'll just use this thread for questions.
BenFenner

Post by BenFenner »

First question. I'm tasked with getting a table to load when the tuner is connected to the "Test" comm. I'm trying to wade through the code and find the file where the heavy lifting will be done and best I can figure out that would be:
freeems-tuner/comms/protocols/IFreeEMS_Vanilla /v0_0_1/text.py

But that's really a shot in the dark. I'd love if Aaron (or Fred?) could give me an overarching picture of how the tuner does it's thing so I can feel more comfortable and make the environment more familiar, but I can settle for a direct answer to my specific question as well.
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

BenFenner wrote:First question. I'm tasked with getting a table to load when the tuner is connected to the "Test" comm. I'm trying to wade through the code and find the file where the heavy lifting will be done and best I can figure out that would be:
freeems-tuner/comms/protocols/IFreeEMS_Vanilla /v0_0_1/text.py

Code: Select all

freeems-tuner/comms/protocols/IFreeEMS_Vanilla /v0_0_1/test.py
That is the file that manages the Test responses, yes :)
BenFenner wrote:But that's really a shot in the dark. I'd love if Aaron (or Fred?) could give me an overarching picture of how the tuner does it's thing so I can feel more comfortable and make the environment more familiar, but I can settle for a direct answer to my specific question as well.
Any chance of you getting on gtalk, or msn?

I started writing some documentation on the tuner site:
http://tuner.freeems.org/wiki/Developers

But I want to expand on it. Would be cool if you could add to it as you find stuff... :) I'll have to set you up an account, can you PM me a username and password you would like?

I'll try give you a quick glimpse of what is happening in the test adaptor:
comms.Test.connection._send(packet)
The above function is called when a packet is sent to the Test comms interface. At the moment this only occurs if you do something in the GUI (with the Test plug in enabled and connected), e.g. click one of the request buttons.

Code: Select all

# Get preset return packet
        response = self.getProtocol().getTestResponse(packet)
getTestReponse increments the request packets payload id by 1, which will map to the response payload id (if there is no response packet defined, function returns null and nothing is sent back to the app).

If a response packet is defined, we create an instance of the corresponding class for that payload id (responses are defined here), and the classes createTestResponse(request) method is run (the request parameter is the request packet we are responding too, which means you can customize the response depending on the request) :)

If the createTestResponse method does not exist, then an exception occurs. You might want to add a try/except loop in the getTestResponse function.

This response is then returned to the test adaptor, is converted to binary and appended to the input buffer for the receive thread to find it and act accordingly!

Make sense?
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
BenFenner

Post by BenFenner »

sry_not4sale wrote:Any chance of you getting on gtalk, or msn?
Maybe MSN. I'll have to set up a user on there. I take it I won't see you on AIM anymore? =]
sry_not4sale wrote:I started writing some documentation on the tuner site:
http://tuner.freeems.org/wiki/Developers

But I want to expand on it. Would be cool if you could add to it as you find stuff... :) I'll have to set you up an account, can you PM me a username and password you would like?
PM on the way.
sry_not4sale wrote:Make sense?
For the most part yes. Once I get into it I might have some more questions but I'm getting the idea and your description is clear so the more I read it the more it makes sense.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Ben, msn sucks, get gmail and chat to us through that. AIM stands for America Instant Messenger, there is more to the world than the US of A ;-) I'll use it again, but not until I have proper internet (been without for 2 weeks not, withdrawal symptoms are almost gone). There is also phone if you want to have an in person chat with some cheap calling card or something. Let me know if you wanna call and I'll give you my number(s). Aaron is phone-able too, probably. But it will cost you 3 times as much to talk to him because the stubborn bastard won't get a land line!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

Fred wrote:But it will cost you 3 times as much to talk to him because the stubborn bastard won't get a land line!
Heh, you're the only person that would call it! You're welcome to pay for it :P
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

About the IM thing, you might also want to try this one.

http://www.trillian.im/

Does several IM packages including AIM, google, yahoo, and a pile of others.
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

Or

http://www.meebo.com/

if you don't wanna install anything
BenFenner

Post by BenFenner »

Not trying to start an argument here, but as far as clients go, AIM is by far the best and most feature rich (which is very hard to do). I know that goes against all instincts but it's true. I've used them all at one time or another. I'll figure something out.
Fred

Post by Fred »

The client is irrelevant, choose whichever you want, there are dozens. The protocol though, this is what matters and Jabber, which gtalk uses, is way better than msn or aim. Furthermore, if you want to be connected, you have to suffer the various protocols that people use. EG, none of my msn friends or aim friends have talked to me in weeks. If I want to communicate with them, that is the avenue that I need to adopt. Thus I use pidgin and on windows I used to use trillian (despite how broken it is) and use whatever everyone else is using and not care until the connection gets flaky.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!