Customisable interface

Aaron Barnes' wxPython based FreeEMS tuning tool. No longer maintained and out of date with the protocol requirements.
sry_not4sale
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Customisable interface

Post by sry_not4sale »

To implement this, I will create some wrapper functions for handling the interface layout. If I put these in a well documented file seperate from other code, it should be easy for someone to get the general idea of python and how the layout is defined, and modify as desired...

No recompile would be required, and if someone really wanted a dynamic reload option, and maybe even a layout preview could be coded up.
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
sry_not4sale

Re: Customisable interface

Post by sry_not4sale »

Another part to this I have started implementing, is the tabbed interface. However, tabs will be able to be "popped out" - where they will open in a new window, so in essence - you could have two tabs shown on the screen at once :)
Fred

Post by Fred »

Much like tool boxs in gimp, you could have any number doing whatever?
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I like the idea of having them in a window, or popped out. Fore example in GIMP I only know of individual dialogs, so when you want to min it, you have to hit many windows to make it go down. Where it sounds like your popping idea would allow for you to choose either to keep them in a window, or individual. I like the idea of having the option. Just to make sure, it's still not implemented yet right? I see pop out, but it didn't appear to work quite yet.

I also like the debug info thing.
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

Fred wrote:Much like tool boxs in gimp, you could have any number doing whatever?
Yeah any number :)
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

jharvey wrote:I like the idea of having them in a window, or popped out. Fore example in GIMP I only know of individual dialogs, so when you want to min it, you have to hit many windows to make it go down. Where it sounds like your popping idea would allow for you to choose either to keep them in a window, or individual. I like the idea of having the option. Just to make sure, it's still not implemented yet right? I see pop out, but it didn't appear to work quite yet.

I also like the debug info thing.
Yeah not quite done, but close ;)
Pilt
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Pilt »

sry_not4sale wrote:To implement this, I will create some wrapper functions for handling the interface layout. If I put these in a well documented file seperate from other code, it should be easy for someone to get the general idea of python and how the layout is defined, and modify as desired...

No recompile would be required, and if someone really wanted a dynamic reload option, and maybe even a layout preview could be coded up.

Are you planning on having the user modify python code to alter the GUI? It would be better if you made a interpreter for .txt (or whatever) files. Then you dont have to worry about a user edditing code and acidently ruining indenting or syntax. Your code would alert them to mistakes in the .txt file if they changed it and try render what is correct in the file

Even better addition to this (so a user never has to type a thing!) would be to have a designer mode in the app that brings up a sandbox (a window) of wxpython object examples that can be dragged and dropped onto the main screen and resizable etc, they would also be assiable to the database of parameters that the ECU returns (or commands that can be sent). (I am also imagining here you have some sort of dictionary/database containing all ECU parameters!)

Cheers

Dan
Fred

Post by Fred »

wxglade is also an option. I agree that a parsable solution seems better for that. I have no idea how to achieve a parsable solution though.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Pilt
TO220 - Visibile

Post by Pilt »

Fred wrote:wxglade is also an option. I agree that a parsable solution seems better for that. I have no idea how to achieve a parsable solution though.

Fred.
I already have a parsing solution that may be appropriate, however the parsing of the files is written in a C dll which is not my interlectual property so i would have to rewrite it in python.. (I am doing this now anyway...)

Tomorow I will post an example of a file and you can see what you think/ sugggest how it could be improved
sry_not4sale

Post by sry_not4sale »

Python has an interface to its own c parser, so you can use python to program it and parse markup languages ;)