FreeEMS needs YOU!

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
sry_not4sale
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

FreeEMS needs YOU!

Post by sry_not4sale »

Hey all,

We want FreeEMS to be great, and we need your help to get there!

There are plenty of administrative/support tasks we need done, so you don't even need to be a programmer or hardware guy to help - we just need volunteers :)

So - if you are willing to help make FreeEMS the best...

What are your skills?
What do you enjoy doing?
What do you want to help with?
What would you be prepared to learn?

Cheers,
Aaron (FreeEMS Tuner maintainer)
Owner / Builder: 1983 Mazda Cosmo 12at (1200cc 2-rotor turbo) coupe [SPASTK]
165hp @ 6psi standard - fastest production car in japan Oct 82
DaWaN
QFP80 - Contributor

Re: FreeEMS needs YOU!

Post by DaWaN »

I think I can spend some time on FreeEMS.
Things I have experience with:
-Embedded C programming (AVR/ARM7)
-Little bit ASM programming (PIC/ARM7)
-Hardware development (designed a few embedded systems, knowledge is mainly digital)

The thing I actually want to do is making FreeEMS hardware as cheap as possible.
Currently I don't have a single idea what hardware is used apart from the microcontroller itself.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

I'm in the same boat. Now that Fred has it running a fixed RPM single injector, it can run my single cyl small engine. I'm getting horny to get my small engine going. The two electrical items I don't have are the brain, and drive silicone. I had planned for the PIP3104, but that's obsolete, so I'm looking for a replacement.

In terms of dev, what are you looking to do? It sounds like your interested in hardware, as that's where you can make it low cost, but you note software skills, so perhaps you're more interested in the softer side.
DaWaN
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by DaWaN »

jharvey wrote:In terms of dev, what are you looking to do? It sounds like your interested in hardware, as that's where you can make it low cost, but you note software skills, so perhaps you're more interested in the softer side.
I'm not really into engines, so writing software for the core of FreeEMS don't seems to be a great idea. I have a bit of physics knowledge but I don't know much about gasses and thermodynamics.. But i'm never to old to learn :)

I'm not really experienced in soft- or hardware either, the thing is that I have done both but I never went really deep into it. I don't have a real preference for hard- or software, both is fine for me.

The thing I actually wanted to do is porting FreeEMS to a cheaper microcontroller, the current microcontroller is expensive while Cortex M3 microcontrollers are very cheap and afaik faster as well, the problem is that the current state of FreeEMS is not really a great base to port because it's far from finished...

So the thing I currently want to do is help finishing FreeEMS and I have no idea what still needs to be done so I think it's best for you guys to do some proposals for me.
EssEss
LQFP112 - Up with the play

Post by EssEss »

DaWaN wrote:Cortex M3 microcontrollers are very cheap and afaik faster as well
the real magic is in the peripheral set .. I believe thats why Fred chose this particular proc.

I'm getting a 'fishy' feeling here.
HOODEY
DIP8 - Involved

Post by HOODEY »

Microchip pic18f assembly. Currently developing a Advance knock detection system for Nissan .Using spark pulses, cam and crnak pulses for windowin.

Basis Knowledge of Java and ability pass information from a JAVA gui to a pic and vice versa.Writing to eeprom from a Java table and vice versa.
Virtual guages in Java.

Have design and built an RC dyno with PID control, fifth injector controller.

Extensive experience in converting distributor to distributorless for toyota.
Good command of LCDs and Keypads.

Datalogging by storing data to ram and the writing to program memory.
My contribution would be anything relating to knock..
obi-lan
TO220 - Visibile

Post by obi-lan »

I'd like to help.

I work as a IT administrator have exprerience of running Microsoft enviroments, Linux servers (mostly Debian, some CentOS) and most of all I like TCP/IP stuff, switching, WiFi, routing, firewall etc. So I probably could help with all IT infra related stuff and with forum.

I'm building my second MegaSquirt setup and I'm familiar with basic EFI, have rebuild VW 8v engine couple of times too.

Most of all like blinking leds :mrgreen: So I'm interested in learning electronics and some embedded programming. I have some knowledge of basic analogue electronics from back school though can't remember resistor color codes from memory.
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Post by jharvey »

Welcome along and pleasure to meet you.

If you want to jump in and try some dev, sounds like you should setup the compile environment and give it a go. I believe the setup Fred had on his Volvo was basically a purchased board from Tech Arts, and like 5 components on proto boards. It didn't really require allot of soldering. I seem to recall that TCP/IP is in the long term plan, perhaps you might find that interesting to work on.

I believe that Fred is currently working on some of the more basic parts right now. He's leaving room for things like TCP/IP, however the com port works for the communications it's currently using, so he's been working on other items instead.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Obi wan kenobi, how nice of you to join us! :-)

Any TCP/IP will be on some external processor as we do not have resources to waste on that without compromising engine operation. The comms protocol is portable over any medium, though.

I'm currently working on the release, it should be out tonight.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
obi-lan
TO220 - Visibile

Post by obi-lan »

Are you planning to make full feature board where one can plugin that Techarts protoboard in some (not) so distant future?