Fastest Quarter Mile Times on FreeEMS! Post your slips!

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Fred

Fastest Quarter Mile Times on FreeEMS! Post your slips!

Post by Fred »

I'm proud to announce that about 6 weeks ago, Saturday 21st May, stateside, Chris/boostedcabbage claimed the title of fastest FreeEMS powered car from zero to 400m when he ran a 13.84 @ 103mph in his turbocharged Dodge Neon! Pics and vids to come, but he can't have been lying as he was also pretty disappointed in the time. Little did he know that he'd just set a record for the project! :-D

Partial and modified list of Night Speed Drag Wars classes which I'll annotate each listed best-run with:
  • C1 – 4WD Turbo (no V8s)
  • C2 – 2WD Turbo (no V8s)
  • C3 – All Motor NA (no V8s)
  • C4 – Quick V8s (no non-V8s :-p)
  • C5 – Motorcycles NA
  • C6 – Motorcycles Turbo
  • C7 – Rotary Turbo

Official list of fastest FreeEMS cars in a straight line:

Official

Verified runs with video and/or slip photo from a recognised raceway.

Anyone else who tracks their vehicle, please post up! :-D Not on FreeEMS yet? Post here instead: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2770

Everyone else, comments here, please: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2688

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: Fastest Quarter Mile Times on FreeEMS! Post your slips!

Post by Fred »

And just a little something I'll maintain for those who post up without good/any evidence:

Unofficial

Fakers/contenders/random metrics that don't include precision timed 400m passes, eg eighth mile passes, DIY timed runs, etc.

Watch out, Chris, I'm on your tail. Cept they won't let me race until it's legal, so it'll be unofficial for a long time to come.
boostedcabbage
QFP80 - Contributor

Post by boostedcabbage »

Video of Cabbage doing 13.84. No boost leaks and a bigger turbo coming soonish.

https://youtu.be/0-J8zTrgWn8
m2cupcar
LQFP112 - Up with the play

14.775 @ 91.88 mph

Post by m2cupcar »

KOSH racing's 1995 Mazda Miata with stock 1999 1.8 BP Miata engine. Fast pass at the Grassroots Motorsports $2016 Challenge, Gainesville Raceway in Florida: 14.775 @ 91.88 mph

Run was made on road race radial tires (extremely stiff sidewalls), so it was very difficult to launch with any rpm and not spin the tires.

(on the left)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx_zgQvpn5A
90 Miata | 302rwhp @ 6450rpm | 281rwftlbs @ 4800rpm | FE-dohc 2.0L turbo
Fred

Post by Fred »

Rob was very kind and sent me to Mere Mere on his behalf in FreeEMS car #38, his pride and joy, a 1997 R33 Skyline GTS-T (which I always wrongly call GTS25-T as per the equivalent R32 model). My first time drag racing since 2007 or so, which was in my naturally aspirated track-oriented R32 Skyline.

I did my very best to push the boosted cabbage down the list on behalf of RWD fans around the world, but alas, I failed and found a new respect for the cabbage's achievements. I blame my own skill level/practice level and the lack of proper drag racing tyres, the most. Mostly the latter, at least in my mind.

I know the car has a mid-low 13 in it as is, but on the day my best was a 14.027 @ 102.99mph (165.746kph).

The tyres on the car were my own that came, in brand new condition, on my FD3S 16x8 factory rims. Near brand new Hankook Ventus HRII tyres with no treadwear rating and no traction rating.

On the first run they had 32psi on them, but mostly I just did a huge skid off the start line, and then wheel hopped through second gear, and crossed the line on the limiter in third.

I then lowered them to 23psi, and proceeded to shave a full second off my earlier attempt essentially by not launching at all, just taking off firmly and revving through first gear. The next run was the best and was obtained by taking off slightly more firmly, also on 23psi rears, and again, just revving through first gear. The final run was a step backward with 22psi and another sideways exit from the start line.

So, the proof:

More discussion in the discussion thread, probably, if I can be bothered assembling a story out of the tweets.