FreeEMS-Loader

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
SleepyKeys
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: FreeEMS-Loader

Post by SleepyKeys »

Another idea is to come up with a way to generate a config map in flash during compile time. You might be able to do all of this from the C code with "& and sizeof()" then you just need a way to tag what type of data it is.

configPage
type/address/length
type/address/length
type/address/length

The tuner/loader can look for config params in a static location.

Anyway just an idea.
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Just grabbed the latest source and built and tried. There is no file chooser in the settings tab. It might be nice to display the filename there once chosen, and also to allow geeks to type in a path, like gmail attachment USED to let you do. The reading in and verification could occur when the user hits enter, or tabs out of the box. Or when they select "ok" in a chooser dialog.

Additionally, it's nice that you have a rip button, I didn't mention that above, but it would be good to be able to use the tool to grab an image from the device in order to share that entire image with support people or other users with the same setup, as a secondary option to a tune file upload. At least then the tuning software is out of the picture and it will be byte for byte.

I also just had a wee issue with the terminal after closing the loader :

IE, somehow you stole the newline out of the prompt :-/ I see it dumping ttyUSB0 which I hand entered, without a newline, perhaps use println instead of print and this will go away? I dont understand how it happened regardless of that, though.

Keep up the good work.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Post by Fred »

I see your slackness has not posted in this thread. Thus I must conclude that he also hasn't read my last post, which may not even be valid anymore. This post comes to you from the mac that I've been sent for freeems testing. I have problems building this :-)

Code: Select all

freeair:freeems-loader fred$ make
make: *** No rule to make target `/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++/qmake.conf', needed by `Makefile'.  Stop.
I had a look in the Makefile and it looks generated? If so, maybe you should go with something like what Dave does for mtx and run a configure or autogen script before hand to create the makefile? In any case, I doubt the linux-g++ file should be on the mac. If I'm wrong, let me know, as I haven't installed QT4 on this machine yet.

Bang a readme in to tell us how to create it anyway :-) And if you gen the makefile, make sure you exclude the makefile from git, too.

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

OK, built it on my eee and there were two issues, both fixed and pushed. However, I tried to break it :-)

It detects the SM correctly, and fails to detect the SM when the firmware is running, yay :-)

It should fail to detect the SM when the baud and other comms parameters are changed too, but it doesn't. I suspect that you're not using the displayed values yet? I just tried to change the port it uses, and it fails to connect, great. And after failing you can make it work, great. However once it works, you can't make it fail again, ie, connect doesn't try to reconnect, it just does nothing. I guess you should add a disconnect and grey out the connect or do a reconnect when it is pushed. Just so the UI is consistent with the behaviour.

I have no further comments, but I guess we'll see it ripping the old s19 pretty soon, which is cool :-)

Fred.
Fred

Post by Fred »

I just used the loader to verify operation of the boot loader switch I just installed on the MS2 that I'm building for a friend. Nice and light weight, sweet.

Fred.
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

"It should fail to detect the SM when the baud and other comms parameters are changed too, but it doesn't. I suspect that you're not using the displayed values yet? I just tried to change the port it uses, and it fails to connect, great."

It actually all works ok, its just that once it connects it doesn't reapply settings. Will fixed and get to the good stuff! Going to have the connect button flip into a disconnect button once connected.

Thx
sean
You snooze, you lose!
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

Fred wrote:I just used the loader to verify operation of the boot loader switch I just installed on the MS2 that I'm building for a friend. Nice and light weight, sweet.

Fred.
Sweet its first useful run!
You snooze, you lose!
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

Pushed
You snooze, you lose!
Fred

Post by Fred »

Pulled, tested, emailed. SM detect and connect/disconnect work as advertised, well done.

Fred.
SleepyKeys

Post by SleepyKeys »

Updated README. Should now build on win32, although I got a linker error on my system I will figure it out soon if someone doesn't beat me to it.
You snooze, you lose!