Website suggestion and new user introduction

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Oskar
QFP80 - Contributor

Website suggestion and new user introduction

Post by Oskar »

Hi, I've been sneaking around on the forum here for a few months now and now decided to register.

First the suggestion. I think updating the website with new releases should have a reasonably high priority (Oct 6. is the most recent advertised release now).
It doesn't really matter for users familiar with the FreeEMS project, but it would probably give a more "happening" feel to people just stumbling upon the diyefi.org site.

For the introduction part, I'm a technical university student starting om my master's thesis. I have numerous years of racing experience, and some experience installing, wiring, tuning, working around firmware limitations etc. on aftermarket ecus, as well as having a MS1 unit (built and tested, never used though).
I'm not sure how I can contribute to the project here since I don't feel my hardware and firmware know-how is quite up to the task. And I also have very limited time due to all the other stuff I have gotten myself into on my free time.
But I do have very good knowledge of engine technology, control technology principles and am known for finding and thinking of problems, and crazy solutions for them.

Hopefully I can be of some help.
-Oskar
Fred

Re: Website suggestion and new user introduction

Post by Fred »

Hi Oskar, Welcome aboard!
Oskar wrote:First the suggestion. I think updating the website with new releases should have a reasonably high priority (Oct 6. is the most recent advertised release now).
It doesn't really matter for users familiar with the FreeEMS project, but it would probably give a more "happening" feel to people just stumbling upon the diyefi.org site.
I saw the thread title and knew that it would say that :-) I should have a chance to sort that out over the holiday, however I'd also like to update it to Joomla to make doing it in future easier too.
I'm not sure how I can contribute to the project here
Like this :
and some experience working around firmware limitations etc. on aftermarket ecus
Start a thread and tell us about the issues you faced and how they could be solved :-)

Ideas and feedback are a big help too :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
jharvey
1N4001 - Signed up

Re: Website suggestion and new user introduction

Post by jharvey »

Yes suggestions are very helpful. Perhaps you can find a bug or some such thing under the version I've put together for the 1.0 effort. I'm more than willing to find problems and fix them.