Testing Needed Soon :-)

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Fred

Testing Needed Soon :-)

Post by Fred »

Well, it's been a long time coming, but some semi real world testing will be required very shortly :-)

I've just about finished the serial comms and Aaron is working hard on a wxpython tuning app. I'm sure others will follow in his footsteps in that regard :-) What this means is that useful testing can be accomplished with minimal gear.

To assist us with testing at this time you will need the following :

1 x Tech Art XDP card with the correct pin style
1 x PC with serial connection
1 x 12v power supply @ 500mA or more

Your testing will be much more useful if you have also got any of the following :

1 x JimStim - well worth owning anyway!
1 x A test rig with LED outputs and extra power for it - Requires the JimStim
1 x Oscilloscope (2 channel preferred) - Requires the JimStim

The testing that is required is pretty straight forward and pretty much anyone with the spare cash to buy the gear required could do it. The first phase of testing is just using the interface to control and adjust the FreeEMS code and check that it does what you expect and behaves the way you expect it to. That simple.

Even just doing that with no engine simulation will definitely help myself, Sean, Aaron and others develop their parts of the system.

You will help us even more if you hook a JimStim to it and play with it in more detail simulating different driving conditions.

In a few months when things are a bit more polished and there is hardware available we can get some real on-engine testing done. Be warned though, it will be risky and could go slowly at first.

Being involved with that will help test the hardware designs out too. End to end if you like :-)

In the mean time though, anyone can help by just playing with the chip and a PC :-)

Please see the following thread if you are interested in getting the gear to do the testing and have about 150us spare for the CPU card :

http://www.diyefi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=471

For those that already have the TA XDP card, please pull it out, brush off the dust and start getting involved!

Thanks!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Fred

Re: Testing Needed Soon :-)

Post by Fred »

Just a bump to point out that I updated the thread on how to get the bits required for testing. Today I also went ahead and did a big write up on how to build under windows since that's what most of you probably use. Vista is no go though...

http://www.diyefi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=508

Get involved!

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!