Future forum sections.

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Fred

Future forum sections.

Post by Fred »

I'm weary of dissecting the forum down into too many pieces too early before the posting frequency and population rise to reasonable levels. So, I probably won't add much more in the short term, but I thought I'd seek input about the FreeEMS sections structure now and into the future.

I think the hard/soft dev forums should stay, and I think we need a general purpose area now. Likewise I think we need an advanced section now to stop the main project being distracted by frivolous stuff that we just don't NEED. Need being quite different to want ;-)

So, I think at the moment the four we have as of a few minutes ago is a good amount. In the future I'd like to add a user area for those people actually running the stuff to talk about their experiences and problems/pleasures. Once the main code line is up and running and reasonably solid I'd like to add a "branches and patches" section or similar where people can freely post their strange and random ideas in the flesh and discuss hacks and strange things and share code on them without it getting in the way of keeping a stable reasonable main line functional. Both of those are not required at the moment though and I think it would be detrimental to add them at this time.

What are your thoughts on this if you have any?

Cheers,

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
davebmw
LQFP144 - On Top Of The Game

Re: Future forum sections.

Post by davebmw »

Fred wrote:I'm weary of dissecting the forum down into too many pieces too early before the posting frequency and population rise to reasonable levels. So, I probably won't add much more in the short term, but I thought I'd seek input about the FreeEMS sections structure now and into the future.

I think the hard/soft dev forums should stay, and I think we need a general purpose area now. Likewise I think we need an advanced section now to stop the main project being distracted by frivolous stuff that we just don't NEED. Need being quite different to want ;-)

So, I think at the moment the four we have as of a few minutes ago is a good amount. In the future I'd like to add a user area for those people actually running the stuff to talk about their experiences and problems/pleasures. Once the main code line is up and running and reasonably solid I'd like to add a "branches and patches" section or similar where people can freely post their strange and random ideas in the flesh and discuss hacks and strange things and share code on them without it getting in the way of keeping a stable reasonable main line functional. Both of those are not required at the moment though and I think it would be detrimental to add them at this time.

What are your thoughts on this if you have any?

Cheers,

Fred.
I think thats spot on, the Hierarchy that is current should remain and projects that are running should be in a success stories style thread, to keep development ideas from up and running triumph's.
93'BMW 325is M50B25TU, Rebuilt 06/06, JE10.5:1, polish&port. Scorpion BB, K&N CAI, TEJ21 WBO2, '07 M3 Evo 18" 225F, 255R, EBC Kevlar, Bilstien Sprint, Polyflex. Head rebuild Oct'08, OEM+FSE FPR, MS2v3.0_DJB Custom, Extra 2.0.1
Fred

Re: Future forum sections.

Post by Fred »

Good call! A FreeEMS runs my engine forum is a good idea. It could have a sticky thread as an index with quick summaries and a link from each to a thread in that subsection.

Or perhaps just a sticky thread in this forum section or the user one and let the projects live in the "user rides" section?

That's a while away anyway :-)

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!