Crazy idea

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Sam
DIP8 - Involved

Crazy idea

Post by Sam »

Excuse me, since I don't have a particularly refined knowledge of this kind of stuff, but I have an idea.

What exactly is limiting us from sequential ignition/injection? Why are we trying to limit ourselves to using just one chip instead of using accessory chips to take care of the problem we have right now with being limited to just 6 ch total of spark and fuel?

My idea is to of course, stick with what we've got, but use an ATMega328 to process signals coming from the main processor. You could have one pin from the S12XD that handles as many ignition channels as you'd ever want, and then have the 328 handle the rest. The 328 would control the MOSFETs, and use the signal from the S12XD to know when to fire each coil, and basically have an initial pulse that tells the 328 to reset the loop, then the 328 starts over. Same for fuel. Is this a plausible idea? Or do I have no clue what I'm talking about (fairly likely)?

Sam.
Fred

Re: Crazy idea

Post by Fred »

Time is limiting us. That and time-wasters of the past making promises they couldn't fulfill. The core is more than capable of doing the job.

You can't just hand it off like that, either. But that's another topic.

If you did do that, there are better choices to offload to.

The point of the S12X choice was a device that didn't need to offload things, it's plenty capable.

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Sam
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Sam »

Is it more of a software problem than a hardware limitation?
Fred

Post by Fred »

100% software problem. That piece of software is missing and does not exist. Only poor attempts at making it work exist. None actually real-world usable publshed.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!