New here introduction, question, and also details.

FreeEMS topics that aren't specific to hardware development or firmware development.
Fred

Re: New here introduction, question, and also details.

Post by Fred »

What makes you think sequential will give you a nice idle? This is false. It's true relative to M$ style batch, but not timed multi-shot batch. Anyone who says this clearly has no experience with a range of strategies.

I can't offer you any support if you're intercepting the signals to your core devices with complex systems and logic outside my control, no matter who the supplier is.

If you plan to use EDIS, plan to use stock EDIS coils, otherwise you could be in for some unpleasant surprises. Stock EDIS coils are good to 20+ PSI and ~15000 RPM....

Fred.
DIYEFI.org - where Open Source means Open Source, and Free means Freedom
FreeEMS.org - the open source engine management system
FreeEMS dev diary and its comments thread and my turbo truck!
n00bs, do NOT PM or email tech questions! Use the forum!
The ever growing list of FreeEMS success stories!
Sam
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Sam »

Those are factory replacements for stock EDIS coils. I've heard of people using them on 1700hp big blocks. I don't see why they wouldn't work.

Yes, I'm a newbie to this stuff. But, I don't see how multi-shot batch wouldn't offer an advantage. Obviously I'd get it set up with batch first and then go from there. Like I said, I'm always messing with stuff. Yes, it would make no sense to try to integrate the arduino into all of it without getting FreeEMS working without it first. I get that.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Could be in for, not will be in for. And when the stock coils are good to huge HP, why upgrade? More variables == more pain and more complication.

To understand why sequential can offer a worse idle than timed multi-shot batch, you need to understand what makes an engine idle well, or poorly, in the first place.

Fred.
Sam
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Sam »

Well here's the thing, I'm gonna get it running in the simplest way possible before I start experimenting and dicking around with it. So if FreeEMS can support a high amount of boost on a big V8, I'm in. Heck yes, I'd love to be another success story. It's gonna take me a while though, but you'll hear from me.

At the moment, I'm busy sorting out getting my instrument cluster running without the stock PCM. Still waiting for the stuff from China. I'm running 17x 7 segment displays, driven by 3x MAX7219 drivers, interfacing with an arduino mega which is pretty much replacing what you'd call my body control module. It's going to drive a 20x4 display as well, and also run most of my electrical stuff. I'll control my HVAC system with it too... I'm gonna control my blower motor with PWM and have an H bridge so it can run backwards... have temp sensors and basically have automation like a luxury car. Also, a switch panel for everything, solid state relays for a lot of stuff, etc. We'll see if the mega can do all of that in the future. That's my current project. As soon as I get the instrument cluster running I'm going put that project on hold and start ordering stuff for the computer. :twisted:
Fred

Post by Fred »

Cool. Feel free to start a thread on your body control stuff in 'soldered' or some other section, if you want.
Sam
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Sam »

Will do!
Sam
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Sam »

Transmission is rebuilt, running fantastically, chirping the tires and squeaking the accessory belt during a WOT 1-2 shift. EXTREMELY quick shifting. It's doing wonderful. Now, time to design a controller for it. Figured I should give you guys an update. Looks like stuff has been going on over here while I've been absent. I'm probably going with a GT45 single turbo setup and I'm just gonna find out if this 5.9 magnum can take 1000hp. I really don't care at this point. The trans will probably handle it, and if the motor blows, worse comes to worst I'll be at the junkyard with a $200 budget. I've been talking to quite a lot of people on facebook in the drag racing world.
Sam
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Sam »

Little 1-2 test if anyone's wondering. The tach isn't accurate, don't pay attention to it, the shifts are too fast for it to really register how fast the motor is decelerating. The squeak during the shift is my accessory belt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg2fg2ryN84
Sam
DIP8 - Involved

Post by Sam »

Okay, here's a little more info about the 5.9 Magnum. The stock crank sensor is an 8 tooth, and the cam position sensor measures a every time cylinder 1 is at TDC, and the 8 tooth CPS tells every time another cylinder is at TDC, since the cam sensor tells where cylinder 1 is. Would it be better to have a 36 tooth crank setup?
Fred

Post by Fred »

IIRC your 8 tooth sensor has something special about it, not quite 8 even teeth. Could be wrong. A missing tooth wheel is a good idea, but may not be necessary. Be warned, though, getting a low-tooth count setup working is trickier than getting a high tooth count setup working. High tooth count setups currently have a different problem: limited RPM. 36-1 is usable to about 5000 RPM if I remember rightly. This is a temporary limitation and I've done some serious work recently on remedying it which I'll try to continue this weekend.

If you haven't already, please start a thread about your vehicle, and put all of the details into that. Photographs of the actual sensors and wheels etc are golden truth. This isn't really the right place to proliferate such details, though I appreciate your enthusiasm :-)